Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stitch Up mix by Simman
Little late but thought I'd give it a go. Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

.mp3    StitchUp-Simman.mp3 --  (Download: 6.46 MB)

Hey simman.

Here's what I like:
*Vocals are clear, sound good, blended nicely.
*Love the snare, but be prepared; some other folks might not like it. For the song it is a bit different, but it sounds very natural to me, not overbearing and nicely set in the mix.
*Bass is placed well.

Here's what needs improvement:
*One thing really, but it is pretty important--the guitars are way too "wimpy." Their tone overall is too thin, and they are set too low and back in the mix as well. Since they are the entire "body" of the song, they need to punch the listener like the snare does, and in your mix, they are more like background fillers.

Hope that's helpful. Thanks for sharing sir!

Joe
(grizwalter)

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(20-11-2013, 04:05 PM)grizwalter Wrote: Hey simman.

Here's what I like:
*Vocals are clear, sound good, blended nicely.
*Love the snare, but be prepared; some other folks might not like it. For the song it is a bit different, but it sounds very natural to me, not overbearing and nicely set in the mix.
*Bass is placed well.

Here's what needs improvement:
*One thing really, but it is pretty important--the guitars are way too "wimpy." Their tone overall is too thin, and they are set too low and back in the mix as well. Since they are the entire "body" of the song, they need to punch the listener like the snare does, and in your mix, they are more like background fillers.

Hope that's helpful. Thanks for sharing sir!

Joe
(grizwalter)

Joe greatly appreciate your comments. It is helpful to get perspective.

I think your comment about the guitars is spot on. I also agree that snare drums seem to stir up all sorts of emotion but I'm with you; I like the snare too. I will say that I was not actually a fan of the sound of the raw guitar tracks but do agree that I got overly aggressive on EQ cuts. Will go back and fix the mix on the next pass.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and provide constructive feedback.

Ok here's the updated mix. Went back and put a little more meat on the guitars (thanks grizwalter) and push the volume a bit. tweaked the automation in some spots as well. Welcome your feedback.

Thanks

.mp3    StitchUp-Simman_Tk2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.54 MB)

Sounds like a nice balanced mix
The cymbals have a lot of high end energy 8k and over on my monitors, try bring down the level by maybe as much as 12 db Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(22-11-2013, 08:07 AM)thedon Wrote: Sounds like a nice balanced mix
The cymbals have a lot of high end energy 8k and over on my monitors, try bring down the level by maybe as much as 12 db Big Grin !

Yeah you're not kidding about the high end. I don't know how that happened must of had my fingers in my ears Tongue.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. Will do one last pass on the mix.
Wherever you go...there you are
(22-11-2013, 08:07 AM)thedon Wrote: Sounds like a nice balanced mix

I agree 100%! Big Grin
(22-11-2013, 05:12 AM)simman Wrote: Ok here's the updated mix. Went back and put a little more meat on the guitars (thanks grizwalter) and push the volume a bit. tweaked the automation in some spots as well. Welcome your feedback.

Thanks

Hello again sir!

The guitars are much improved. That's the first thing. Some folks noted the high end issues, but I think an overall mastering job might bring everything into a more "glued together" state in that regard.

Now for the bad news (I hate when that happens!): This song is a tricky one, and there could be a million approaches, but to my ear your mix is too thin, but not the way it was before working on the guitars. I found in doing my mix for this recently that a lot of mirror eq'ing and subtractive methods were the way to go. The guitars are going to compete, and to top it all off, there is distortion on the bass tracks at times which really needs to come out as well.

You might want to take a listen to the original mix of this song again. If you aren't comfortable mastering your mixes yet, by all means I could do it for you and that might help, uh, stitch this one up? (Sorry, had to do it.) Just got all my mastering stuff in place, finally, after over a year without the ability to finalize mixes that way, so I'm a happy boy and looking for excuses to do work for free! haha

Also, I'd love it if you took a listen to my recent mix of Stitch Up as well. God knows I've had enough to say about yours, some revenge is warranted!

Joe (grizzy)
http://wix.grizwalter.com/mountainmix

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]