Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue
This was a handful of an arrangement due to the overly abundant stereo flab for such a cute song, though I fully undertand the intention of having it floaty for a concept. However, "Too much floaty brings in the bloaty", so no apologies for the edits. My wish is that the materials weren't so low-mid heavy and short on presence and treble and I think most listener's would think the same, consciously or subconsciously because it gets fatiguing. And of course, tone is mood....emotion. The toy piano stands out as a valuable contributor and brings a much welcomed light to the performance though. Perhaps without the contrasts as they are, it's impact would be otherwise different.

I tried to help the voice, but the artifacts were worse than the benefit so elected to leave it. There is an exception in the middle somewhere, where he's right out of step (choking back the emotions I bet, and why not?). Some deft hard cutting and re-arranging got the worst distractions; it's fairly transparent in the circumstances i.e. if you've no memory of the song.

Thanks PT/GB.

.m4a    blue 17 monked.m4a --  (Download: 14.53 MB)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
An enjoyable listen Monk. Love the way you have painted the piano part. It's timely injected stand out colour works well. I'm perhaps missing some grounding bottom end oomph from the kick or the drums generally though, not sure. Something feels missing here to me. Anyway, I like the way you have worked this one. Well Done.
(23-01-2020, 01:23 PM)Dangerous Wrote: An enjoyable listen Monk.  Love the way....

I'm so sorry  Blush !!!  I haven't been back to the thread since posting. I will respectfully return the favour in due course. Thanks for listening and taking time to share thoughts even if I missed them myself.  I'm sure your efforts would have helped others who might benefit from the read meanwhile.

The new post therefore won't have taken your comments on board, at least not directly.  The original mix was actually a draft, a work-in-progress, pushing some ideas around while dipping a toe in the water in an effort to assess the problems and challenges I might face further down the line with more work - if I worked it.  The new post takes things a lot further.

For instance, in the advanced mix I chose to kill off the oh's and hihat which felt irrelevant musically, rhythmically and timbrally especially in the light of a since heavily modded snare in an effort to lose it's brutal attack.  Instead, it aims to take the direction of a more laid back sound reminiscent of a brush! Actually, a brush would have been perfect. I made a mental note but chose not to pursue it with midi conversion and samples. You see, I didn't like the white/pink noise wash the kit put over the mix and the new snare gave me sufficient qualities for the kit. The drums are laid back, settled, to suit the concept.

Anyway....too many changes to mention....let the music do the typing.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Angel

.m4a    Blue - mONkeD (20-16).m4a --  (Download: 14.92 MB)