Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My try on Szarad a Szaj
So here's my try on this tune. Any feedback will be welcome Smile

.mp3    Chalga Szarad A Szaj - V2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.96 MB)

Hey Chewi,

Really nice balance on everything! The roughest part of the mix was the same thing that I found was the toughest for mine. The sax seems a bit boomy at parts. It's just a tad too dark for my taste. I think it has a little bit to do with how the sax was mic'd. I was it was just a little bit farther from the bell, so the tone wasn't quite to in your face, but I digress. Maybe just a little bit of low mid sculting could do the trick? Like I said, i found the sax to be the hardest thing to fit into the mix, as it has so much more weight than the fiddle. That's probably why I decided to put the horn and fiddle a little farther back with the reverbs I used. I am not happy with how they sit in my mix either. Maybe a dynamic eq would be the right tool to help lighten up the sax a bit.

Everything felt really coherent and nice! If there was another criticism, it might be that the snare is a little dark. I am a bit of a crack-a-holic (nothing to do with anything illicit, haha) when it comes to my snares. With my mix, I was actually wondering if I had the bottom snare up too high, so maybe what could help would be to have it somewhere in the middle, between your mix and mine? It's kind of picky, but I think a little brightening of the snare could open it up a bit.

Well done, nice work, and thank you so much for the critique and comments on my mix!

Draper

Hey, thanks for your feedback.
It's true that the sax is hard to mix and doesn't sound the same depending on is tessiture, I try to ad some multiband compression on it to fix that but i'm not sure it's entirely working...
I guess I see what you were saying about the snare but I kind of like it this way so I didn't do much on it.
Although I realise I had some send in a short time reverberation that weren't active because of some error in my routing so I correct that and this could change some things... (I think this is really helping on the guitar...)

.mp3    Chalga Szarad A Szaj - V3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.96 MB)

Hey Chewi,
Very nice mix. I like the overall balance. It just sounds good.Smile
If i have to do some critique, in my opinion the bass is a little too present in the mix, maybe it needs a tiny midrange cut. I think the overheads can be panned little more to the right ( they are recorded really wierd with the whole kit on the left ).
But really, it's a very good mix. And both of you have a lot better guitar tone than mine.
Hey,

i'm a bit late but thanks for your feedback, I really apreciate Smile
I listen my mix again and I am completely agree with what you said about the bass, for one thing it was really too loud and I had a little bit of eq around 800Hz. I don't think I'm gonna post a new version for I didn't make any other changes yet.
About the drum kit being too much on the left I see what you mean but I don't think that it bothers me. My snare is a bit on the left but this is balance by the hihat being more on the right, there's some cymbal far on the left at the end but I hear them like a "special effect" who give a little more widness for this part... Plus I pan the guitar on the right and it takes some space there so for me the stereo balance is still coherent even if the drum is not completely center (it's a bit of a long answer but your feedback make me think about it and I think it's good to argument why I choose to let as it is).

Anyway thank a lot for your criticism and you were totally right about the bass issue Smile