Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Fat Face
Hello my lovers,

This is definitely a tough one if you want to make it sound different from the rest.

Made this old boy a little more driven and glued and polished. Made the vocals the main thing in this track - even though if I were producing this I would re-track the entire vocal arrangement at least for the sake of putting a pop filter on the microphone. There were some serious unfixable wobbles in the vocal as well that would need to be re-recorded.

All in all, a pretty ok recording.

** Edit **

M1.4 has been edited for appropriate vocal tuning and also re-arranged ending to feature the guitar solo (which deserves some air time) before the final chorus. There's also a funky 3 bar breakdown to wake the listener back up before the final chorus. The piano is a little clearer and vocals have been brought forward some.

I've had fun with this track. Any comments or questions are welcome!

.mp3    RubyRoads_RatRaceM1.4.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

.mp3    RubyRoads_RatRaceM1.3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.57 MB)

~
Other Mixes
Updated my dudes
~
Other Mixes
hey Quathammer,

bro I got some comments for you

I've been playing around with this song and I never thought I would like listening to this song at all even after it has been mixed
- until I heard your mix. Guy, if you ain't mixing for a job you should be. Damn I got chills especially during the guitar solo. No offence to the other guys but this mix is legit no doubt.

I saw you said simething about the 3 bar breakdown and you're right it woke me up for sure. I wasn't sold on it at first but I listened it a couple more again and it's miles better than the original. There's not even a fill before the chorus at all and needs something. I suppose that would be something you'd need to talk to the artists about maybe if you ever got the chance

Are the vocals really tuned? Like auto tuned or? Cause usually I can tell if somethings got AT on and I didn't hear it. I'm sure I still hear out of tune vox

F*ing good mix though. Its obvious you used samps for the drums but those vocals are silk. How did you get them like that?
:: Newest Mix ::
Crucial Taunt

Other Mixes
(09-01-2020, 03:00 PM)Saint Wrote: hey Quathammer,

bro I got some comments for you

I've been playing around with this song and I never thought I would like listening to this song at all even after it has been mixed
- until I heard your mix. Guy, if you ain't mixing for a job you should be. Damn I got chills especially during the guitar solo. No offence to the other guys but this mix is legit no doubt.

I saw you said simething about the 3 bar breakdown and you're right it woke me up for sure. I wasn't sold on it at first but I listened it a couple more again and it's miles better than the original. There's not even a fill before the chorus at all and needs something. I suppose that would be something you'd need to talk to the artists about maybe if you ever got the chance

Are the vocals really tuned? Like auto tuned or? Cause usually I can tell if somethings got AT on and I didn't hear it. I'm sure I still hear out of tune vox

F*ing good mix though. Its obvious you used samps for the drums but those vocals are silk. How did you get them like that?

Haha, thanks mate, but to be fair I've spent a lot of time on this mix and I've listened to it on lots of different speakers and headphones. It's a pretty new style for me so it's been fun. I don't mix for a job, at least not in a studio. I'm a live sound guy sometimes and I'm actually heading on tour next week with Hollow Coves for their Australian leg of their world tour (I'm Australian).

So yeah the breakdown is just a copy-paste of the drum fills that happen in the middle of the choruses. Nothing special, but I would like to talk with the artist to get some more action happening on the drums. Maybe get them to write in a bridge or a pre-chorus.

Yep there's auto-tuned vocals, but not everything. I only tuned the lead vocal and the ooohs before the choruses. The double track and all other backing vocals are raw. I use Melodyne which is great at keeping the vocals sounding natural. I hate vocals that sound autotuned unless its rnb/hiphop/rap.

Yeah I used an additional 2 samples for the kick and 3 additional samples for the snare. Tom is original, just processed. The vocals however I absolutely murdered with processing. Same with the guitars. I won't go into details because the same processing wont work on other mixes, but I will say that I started with a slow limiter to control the input into my other processors, then a basic eq, one fast compressor, a slow compressor, de-esser, linear multiband compressor, saturation. Then for the effects I used 3 different short delays, a long delay, 2 phasers, 2 choruses, a parallel compression bus to bring the vocals to the front of the mix, and then my favorite linear eq - SPL passeq - to finish. AND I'm still not happy with the vocals. Ultimately I would like the vocals to be completely re-recorded. She was way to close to the mic and it was obvious there was no pop filter on it. Bad recordings make for bad mixes and mediocre music and mediocre music makes the artist unhappy and fans even more unhappy.

Hope that all makes relative sense. I wouldn't recommend you do any of the above, it's just an FYI. If you post your track I'll add a comment or two!
~
Other Mixes
Is the pumping intentional? Not the guitars, but it seems like the whole mix is effected from the kick. That's the only thing that doesn't sound exactly right to me. Rest of the mix is great, sounds like a good amount of effort was put into it.
(10-01-2020, 12:09 AM)Friggy Wrote: Is the pumping intentional? Not the guitars, but it seems like the whole mix is effected from the kick. That's the only thing that doesn't sound exactly right to me. Rest of the mix is great, sounds like a good amount of effort was put into it.

Hey Friggy,

Yeah there's a sidechain on the bass also? maybe that's what you are hearing cause the bass is pretty dominant? There isn't any other compression on the master either unless you count the limiter which is pretty transparent. I always use the FFL2 for the final limiter and that's always been amazing at keeping the original dynamics of a track. But I mean I'm not opposed to a little pumping cause it sounds sterile otherwise and uninteresting.
~
Other Mixes