Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACTIONS! - Devil's Words NEW MIX (With explanation)
Hello again.
Last week I pulled up an old mix and remastered it, and it inspired me to make a new one from scratch. I think this is the best one I've made yet.
I of course replaced the kick (you had to since there was only a trigger), snare and toms. I filtered out everything under about 500hz to reduce phase issues with the other parts. Put decapitator (with the Neve mode) without driving it (barely moving needle) on each of the drum tracks to simulate some nice pre-amps. Made a huge difference. EQ's everything, since the quality of the recording is lacklustre. Compressed drum buss with high ratio (about 6), and with sidechain filter (Hi pass and lo pass filters) to reduce pumping. and increase clarity and presence. About 1-3 dB of GR depending on part.

Bass I removed some mids (200-400) added some upper mids and compressed with sidechain filter again. Had to ride the fader between the parts.

Dirt Gtrs: removed some 600 (maybe 3 dB or so), added some edge and some sizzle. Removed some 200 in mono to reduce interference with the bass. Used fabfilter compressor on this buss with fastest attack and release (since there basically are no dynamics) to slightly glue them together.

Vocals had most processing. Used Surfer EQ with 3 different bands to react with the notes she was singing. Removed some honk between 1k-2k. Used compressor with sidechain filter, low ratio (1.5) low threshold, slow attack, fast release. about 2 dB of GR (4 dB in the last part). (Remember to not squash things, lower levels may be less audible, but more powerful). Used microshift for some width and some 1/8th delay with the tube tape mode on echoboy for a little depth.

Clean gtrs: Mostly Eq, no compression. Removed some 600, added some presence.

BG vox: No compression, just eq opposite of lead vox to put them at the back of the mix. Added some microshift to fatten them up a bit.

Reverb: One short reverb (0.5 sec). Ambience mode on Valhalla vintage verb. about 15 ms pre delay. Mostly early reflections. Little modulation. Lo passed. Sent everything to this bus to taste. One long reverb (1.2 sec) with the room mode on valhalla vintage verb. This one with more modulation and late reflections. Predelay was something between 15-20 ms. Compressed the short one with low ratio and the long with higher. Both went through decapitator to again simulate pre amp.

Mixbus: EQ'd with linear phase fabfilter. Boosted lows, cut some 200-1k, boosted a bit between 1k-2k, cut some harshness, and added some highs (10k or so). Compressed with sidechain filter low threshold (1.5) slow attack, fast release. Unlinked left and right channels in compressor to preserve the imaging. 1-2 dB of GR. Added some mid-side Gullfoss and just let it lightly remove slight imbalances (no more than 1.5 dB on either the mids or sides). The just let it run through Saturn on the Gentle Saturation mode, with 0% drive, Just to get some analog glue. Limited with FFP L 2 Limiter to -9 LUFS on allround mode. Unlinked LR for transients. I used oversampling everywhere I could. That's basically it. Enjoy

.mp3    ACTIONS MIX JAN \'20.mp3 --  (Download: 7.51 MB)

Great job with this, only thing I would want changed is to add some more low end and mids to the snare. Right now it sounds a little roomy, which actually changes the energy of the song in a nice way. But just giving the snare a bit more body I think would help the mix.