Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DUNNING KRUGER_ JAPAN SONG 2020 MIX
I did a version of this in 2017 so I thought it would be interesting to go back and see if my mixing skills have improved. Let me know what you think.

I had some of the same issues that I did the last time around, but I felt I had a better grasp on how to address them. The cellos still sound like they were recorded in a totally different space at a different time and were probably the element that I fought with the most. I still think they need something to sit better in the mix, but I can't figure out what it is.

I stumbled across something that I thought was interesting with the guitars. I ended up using everything but the guitar 5DI track. The part that I found interesting was that I used guitars 2 and 4 panned to the opposite sides of 1 and 5 to create some artificial bleed under the main tracks that I used. This also helped fill out the guitar sound in a way that I didn't anticipate and gave the guitars a much fuller and deeper sound.

I think when it comes to the drums I've learned a lot about when to leave things alone. When I first started the drums were often the instrument that would sound totally different than what I had started out with. This time I focused on leaving the snare in particular alone and just doing some minimal EQ to help it cut through a bit better.

Anyways as always any feedback is appreciated.

Edit: I ran my mix though a summing mixer and I got a slightly different mix that I like a little bit better. I feel like things are just a bit clearer in the stereo field this time around.

.mp3    DUNNING KRUGER_ JAPAN SONG 2020 Summed MIX_2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

.mp3    DUNNING KRUGER_ JAPAN SONG 2020 MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 8.56 MB)