Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ruby Roads - Rat Race (Sonic Alchemy Lab mix)
Comments welcome

Cheers
Motomojo

Same mix just a bit of light mastering.

Didn't spent a lot of time on the first mix so I figured to give it some more time. I believe it's much better this time round.

.mp3    Ruby Roads - RatRace 200105.mp3 --  (Download: 10.14 MB)

.mp3    Ruby Roads - RatRace 200105M.mp3 --  (Download: 10.14 MB)

.mp3    Ruby Roads - RatRace 200218_.mp3 --  (Download: 10.62 MB)

Hey mate,

Pretty good mix from what I can tell. The overall sound is very dark though, and I have to turn it up to hear the highs. Are you mixing on headphones or earphones, or small speakers? Dark mixes are typical of mixing on those kinds of things and sounds muddy or woofy on bigger speakers or in a car. But to be honest, it's still a pretty good mix, it just needs to get mastered.
~
Other Mixes
(07-01-2020, 09:27 AM)Quathamer Wrote: Hey mate,

Pretty good mix from what I can tell. The overall sound is very dark though, and I have to turn it up to hear the highs. Are you mixing on headphones or earphones, or small speakers? Dark mixes are typical of mixing on those kinds of things and sounds muddy or woofy on bigger speakers or in a car. But to be honest, it's still a pretty good mix, it just needs to get mastered.

Thanks Mate
I'm using Yamaha HS8's.
I didn't Master it as I just worked on it a few hours and was pretty happy.
I'm sure I will revisit it and do a bit more tweaking then Master.
It's a bit of a dark song so wanted to keep it a bit moody.
To be honest I haven't listened to it on any other audio system so not sure how it translates.
update - Actually did some light mastering and am still pretty happy with this mix. See what ya think.
Hey mate, yeah that's a lot better but is a little essy now. I had HS8s up until about a year ago and I really liked them. I found that
they worked great as long they weren't turned up too loud and the tweeters were at ear level.
~
Other Mixes
(08-01-2020, 07:19 AM)Quathamer Wrote: Hey mate, yeah that's a lot better but is a little essy now. I had HS8s up until about a year ago and I really liked them. I found that
they worked great as long they weren't turned up too loud and the tweeters were at ear level.

Yeah I hear that essiness. I don't actually have any mastering software
I'm using this program in Adobe Audition called "Master" but it's fairly limited for actual mastering.
Sort of new to this so still gathering things I will need.
Appreciate the comments.
I try to mix low level pretty much mix with the -20 DB dim on and take a listen every little while to full vol.
This digital crap is hard on the ears.