Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My first full mix ever. Let me know what you think
Im new to mixing music. I have been playing music (metal) for 35 yrs and have recording experience but I have never mixed until 2019. I mainly set up my studio to record my own music. I have a death metal project called Morgue Ritual.
I run a hybrid setup. I like using hardware and a lot was used on this mix.

I use Reaper with a MOTU 828es and a Ferrofish Pulse 16 converter for my hardware inserts. Luckily I do well for myself so I have pretty good hardware.
I had a hard time isolating the drums from all the mic bleed so all the drums are samples via the Steven Slate trigger plugin. I didnt care for the guitar tone either so I reamped the DI tracks back through my Kemper and blended those into the amp tracks.
I have a couple Rupert Neve 551 Eq's I used on the stereo guitar bus.
I used a BAE 1073 EQ on the snare sample high passing @ 40htz and boosting the 10k about 3db
I put an IGS Rubberbands EQ on the kick. This is a passive Pultec style EQ so I was able to do the "Low end trick" where I boosted and attenuated the same frequency to bring up the bottom end and tighten it up a bit. This was done at 80htz
Vocal bus went into my distressor at a 6:1 ratio. Quick attack and release. Then a little Izotope necter for flavor.
Bass was put through the Neural DSP Parallax plugin then into a JDK Audio v14 EQ.
Drum bus was put through a ART VLA pro Opto compressor.
Then I have the whole stereo bus going into a Heritage Audio Succesor bus compressor at 4:1, quick attack and auto release with 8db of make-up. Then thats going into two Pultec EQ's boosting 60 htz to thicken up the mix and 10k for some sparkle on top.
I also used various plugins obviously.
RTA 6 to notch the nasties out of the guitar between 4k and 6k. Focusrite red compressor on toms, etc etc..

COMON GUYS, GIVE ME SOME HONEST FEEDBACK.

.mp3    REBUILD THE EVIL MASTER16BIT mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 2.43 MB)

Cool work, good bass. I feel too much compression . Cool equipment you have.
Nice mix and overall balance. I like the guitars but everything else maybe need little more high end. The bass is a little boomy. Overheads sounds like they are in mono? The toms are killer. Smile
I really appreciate the feedback. I just mixed that Hallowed Ground Ill fate tune if you guys want to check it out.
Turned out a bit better,
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=31101
Hi

Overall it sounds very nice and balance is great.

As others have pointed out, it sounds very squashed. Loosen the compression and you're definitely close to something useful Smile

Keep up the good work and stay healthy Smile
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow