Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Black Crown - Flames
Hi!

Had a try at this one. Comments welcomed. Cheers!

Update: Added revision 1.0
Update: Added revision 1.1
Update: Added revision 1.2

Update: Added version 2.0 - new mix.

Update: Added version 3.0 - (another) new mix.

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames.mp3 --  (Download: 12.74 MB)

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 12.74 MB)

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.74 MB)

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames 1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.74 MB)

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames 2.0.mp3 --  (Download: 12.7 MB)

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames 3.0.mp3 --  (Download: 12.84 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Good overall balance. Maybe a taste thing but the vox delay is a bit distracting to me. I also feel the cymbals could use a touch of eq (dynamic maybe) to reduce the harshness in the 5-7 kHz range. Vox could use a trim around the same range as well. I found this a tough mix to deal with that 3-8 Khz range. Cheers
Hi!

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I dunno, with this style I think you want a bit of edge in that 3-8KHz region? My speakers are a bit unforgiving in that area, and I don't feel I've over done it, but yeah maybe I have. I do find getting the right tone for a mix a struggle - I can feel quite different about it depending on the day, and it's all too easy to quickly burn out the ears in the 4k range. I think I'll return to the mix it a few days with a view to making some tweaks. I might also reduce the length of the delay feedback and maybe tuck it in a touch more, and see how I feel about it. Do let me know if you have any suggetions for reference tracks, as I'm always on the lookout. Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Overall I really like it. One thing you might try is to let the singer fight more with the guitars in the verse in oder to give it a more compact, energetic feeling. Just bring the vocals a tad down if you like. Also perhaps you might try something more creative in the instrumental/solo part. I find it a bit too long. I know it is the arrangement. But I think it has the risk to get boring and therefor to loose the listener. Smile

Cheers!
Hi,

Thanks for the comments. I've made a few changes, and updated with revision 1.0. Not feeling too creative with the solo today, but I take the point and did try to do something... I've had a go at getting the verse vocals sitting better with the drums and guitars. I've tweaked the punch of the drums a bit too, and maybe reduced some of the harshness, but not by much probably. Thanks again!
Hmm, now I think the vocals are a bit to low. Perhaps 0,5 dB up? It's a think you might experiment a bit. With vocals a little change in gain goes a long way.

Cheers, Andy
Heh, yeah I think you are right. I'll give it another try. Thanks!
Ok, updated with a version 1.1. Cheers!
The rhythm guitars are missing punch and weight. Did you highpass them aggressively?
Yes. Do you prefer first version guitars to 1.1? The top of the distorted bass occupies the same frequency as the low end of the guitars. I wanted that low end weight to come from the bass, not the bottom end of the guitars. I felt it a bit more balanced in context of the whole mix. Also allows the bass, kick and low end of vocal to come through a bit more. The bass part is quite cool. Obviously I felt differently about it between mix 1 and mix 3, hence experimenting a bit...