Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Drag me down
Hey there here is my mix
drop a line if you like it, or not Smile

Also added another version with subtle changes. Which one sounds better?

.mp3    AdamBuckley_DragMeDown - mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.71 MB)

.mp3    AdamBuckley_DragMeDown - mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.71 MB)

Couple of notes
I found the vocals quite hard to get sounding decent. Anyone experienced the same or was it easy to work on them?
I noticed in a few other mixes the acoustic guitar seems better than mine. I swear I couldn't figure out how to place it, ended up making it a little add-on rather than prominent.
I'm really happy with the overall result though.
Vocals are 75% responsible of making a fine mix, so I usually start with the lead vocal.
9 out of 10 times, the 1176 usually does the job for most leveling, however, I notice that
very few people pay close attention to gain-staging, which can make or break a nice leveled out vocal track.
The lead vocal track in my mix consists of 7 stages; preamp, 2 comps, eq, tape, group bus, mixbus, as most
of my tracks do. It creates consictency, and makes the balance really easy.
About the acoustic guitars; they 'drown' a bit, because I can't hear the tone of those guitars, but that's a 'taste thing'
which you want to feature at that moment.
I like the second one better. Reverbs (and/or delays) is a little too much for my taste and that makes the drums too small (especially toms) and the vocal too far back in my opinion. I like the overal balance though. I think the acoustics need little more highs and that will place them above other guitars in the mix (maybe).
I give my opinion as a complete newbie so you can't take it too seriously. Smile