Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Into the Forest (nice Sondheim copyright dodge)
I am pretty darned happy with the space that I achieved with this mix. Wanted huge sounds, then after those huge sounds, I wanted huger sounds. I had to make sure i preserved the dynamics of the piece, and also kept its raw power. I really enjoy when I can play with more ethereal soundscapes.

I hope you enjoy, and let me know any thoughts, comments, or concerns!

Draper

.mp3    Into the forest Draper Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 14.23 MB)

.mp3    Into the forest Draper Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.23 MB)

update

.mp3    Into the forest Draper Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.23 MB)

So, for giggles, I put my two mixes together. They sounded phasey, so I flipped the polarity of my second mix, and it cleared up, but lost some thump. I then routed my second mix to an aux track, and monoed that out. Gave it a lot of punch back. I like what it did to my mix, and just thought I'd share!

Draper

Edit*

Guitars sound real weird after the big hit. I'll have to addresss that

.mp3    Mix blend.mp3 --  (Download: 14.27 MB)

Okay, played around with some phase on different sections of the different mixes. Ended up re-adding guitar to the end of the song on top of the already mixed tracks of those funky stacked mixes. I think I like it.

If you are wondering why I flipped the phase between the two mixes, it is because between the first and second mix, I added some phase rotation to some tracks in the latter. Thus, flipping the phase in certain sections let me bring out certain aural effects (widening) during some parts, while still being able to have power in the sections that I wanted. By cutting the mixes, moving that section to a new track, and flipping the phase (or rotating the phase to hear what i wanted to hear) I was able to manipulate my mix in a manner that is almost like mastering, except, I am not adding any compression or master buss effects.

I hope it makes sense, and that anyone cares!

Draper

.mp3    into the forest mix blend 2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.27 MB)