Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flags 54 - voelund
Went lookin for the new one from weather wane, just to find a tom 2 track recorded with a bad cable - dang,
Then I remembered this one i newer finished and it turned out ok I think.
Its a fun song, many great elements, one little edit where guitar and perc didnt agree. guitar won :-)

Lots of dynamics and cool sounds.

You like ?

.mp3    54 - 02 - lim.mp3 --  (Download: 10.42 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Sounds great
love the sound of drums, percussion and brass ,like a hear touch more bottom end kick Big Grin Just me lol !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

That may be both doable and a wise advise. thank you Big Grin
Drums were kinda "its set so I forget" yesterday.
There are some 60 tracks lol ...
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Voelund, I always try to listen to your mixes when I'm around. This song struck me as particularly annoying overall (not your mix--the song!) because of poorly recorded drums and ineffective vocals, not to mention percussion overload. In my mix I actually used Audio Snap to add more drum tracks (Snare/OH/RM) to go with the original ones.

Anyway, with that said, I agree with thedon that your mix is good, but lacking in punch. I think, given the initial recording, that you took a very safe approach; everything sits pretty in a calm mix. Unfortunately, this song seems to require someone to get ballsy with it, 'cause on its own its just a lot of sounds.

Summary:
The Good--Very solid mix, with no particular issues. Very safe mix.
The Wish List--Step out of the safety zone a little and make it kick a bit more.
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Thank you for the inspiring response, I agree with you. I kinda gave up on the drums and just left them as they were. One reason were I kinda tried what I could think of regarding the original tracks and at the time were in a learnin proces about triggerin sampled drums. I could have used this one for the learnin purpose, but must admit I were really tired of it and wanted to move on to something givin more response for the effort so to speak.
If I get into mixin this again i will keep your suggestions in mind. And the words about comfort zone started me thinkin. Thank you for that !
(19-01-2014, 11:52 AM)Voelund Wrote: Thank you for the inspiring response, I agree with you. I kinda gave up on the drums and just left them as they were. One reason were I kinda tried what I could think of regarding the original tracks and at the time were in a learnin proces about triggerin sampled drums. I could have used this one for the learnin purpose, but must admit I were really tired of it and wanted to move on to something givin more response for the effort so to speak.
If I get into mixin this again i will keep your suggestions in mind. And the words about comfort zone started me thinkin. Thank you for that !

You're quite welcomed sir. You do pretty good work I've noticed, so when I'm here posting and such, I like to check your mixes. Triggering drums is something I tend to have to do often--my mix of Flags, 54 is one, and in Bobby Nobody's, Stitch Up, I triggered a new snare. The Flags' song was particularly difficult in that regard, or so I thought it would be. However, I found just the right drum, ran an Audio Snap for transients on the snare with the least bleed in its mic, and came out with an incredibly natural sounding result (feel free to take a listen to it and let me know what you think, but given the original snare situation, it is certainly an improvement!).

Keep up the good work sir!

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Nice job on this song. Smooth listening. I like the balance you got here, I would just say that maybe a bit more of the drums as a whole would be nice to drive the song a bit more. Maybe a bit less of the congas to make more space for the drums as the two playing all the time together gets a bit distracting for me.

Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for commentin
The drums suffer from phase problems I think and my attempt to make them punchy didnt work well. Another weak point of mine Im afraid.
I agree the arrangement of the song is very busy in places.