Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piece Of Me - Stream AND Mix!
It's been fun going down memory lane and actually chatting with people FROM this forum! This was a really long one, and I hope it was worth it!

Just a note, I do the whole mix live on headphones and sometimes it's not my best work. But sometimes I really enjoy what comes out of it. This is one of those times where I'm kind of enjoying how unique the end result sounds!

Any suggestions are welcomed. This was a pretty difficult mix overall. Especially with pre-baked vocals!

.mp3    DarkRide - Piece of Me - 1ws Stream Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 12.3 MB)

Good stuff, great work.
(01-12-2019, 12:57 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Good stuff, great work.

Thank you very much! It's a difficult mix.
I think it's pretty easy, especially if you build everything around the vocals and don't overthink it. As far as I remember, bass, kick, snare and guitar should blend together nicely without using any eq at all. A lot of people slam eq and compression on every track, applying "5 eq tricks you need to do in every mix" or something similar they have seen on youtube because they think that's how the pro's do it. I think it's far more important to actually "mix" the song first with faders/volume automation/panning to get it up to 80-90% while retaining all the punch and energy. After that, you can fix the stuff that really gets annoying with eq and/or compression, and then and use every trick in the world to actually make the song more interesting, intense, fun without spending 15 hours on the snare or the guitars trying to make them sound like the ones on your favorite record. I guess everyone has been there at some point in time - hell, I tried to make us (Dark Ride) sound exactly like Killswitch Engage on "As daylight dies" for most on most of my mixes Smile I had some eye-opening moments after finishing the project while watching some popular mixers on Nail the mix. Most of the time they used eq/compression very, very sparingly, making mostly broad strokes. But I haven't mixed a song in the last 2 years so I´m probably not in the position to make any kind of suggestions Smile