Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
First mix posted here
Tried to make the Sax the center of attention, moved the guitars to the sides (with the exception of guitar 3).

Comments are very welcome. Thanks in advance!

.mp3    Turbosauro_Magilla_Mix_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

Much more intimate than my version Smile

In terms of making the sax work you made a much wiser choice than I did, by matching all the other instruments to the sax. This clearly works very well.

I wasn't thinking along those lines at all, when I was first listening to the raw master-tracks. I got focused on the guitars and ended up on a path where the sax couldn't go along.

I think the sound you got here works very well as a whole. It actually reminds me of the sound the band "The Stranglers" had on some of their earlier albums (In particular "Rattus Norvegicus" from 1977)

It's not a 'huge' sound (Like we're so used to today with modern processing), but more 'rounded' and much more 'intimate'. Like you're in the studio with them, rather than listening to a heavily processed version. It sounds more natural (Evidently a very good thing for this song)

For what my opinion is worth; I like it Smile
I think you nailed this one better than I did. Also because you actually was able to make the sax sound at home, which I couldn't.
Hi JEL,

Thanks so much for your listen and your views- I'm really liking this forum as an opportunity to see what others make of the same 'ingredients' - it really shows how endlessly creative you can get with these materials. So cool!

I don't know much materials from The Stranglers, but will give that album a spin now. I do remember 'Golden Brown' with that off-putting rhythm - cheeky in a good way I'd say.

Cheers!
Hi Ringoman1
In overall not bad. I woudl like to hear drums in more conventional way. The mix has is own timbre what i like, bass gutiar sounds nice, either sax. I think verse gtrs could be a bit bigger in terms of frequency response. I mis a bit more puch and impact in general. Anyway it's a decent mix. Cheers!
(28-11-2019, 10:23 AM)Ringoman1 Wrote: Hi JEL,

Thanks so much for your listen and your views- I'm really liking this forum as an opportunity to see what others make of the same 'ingredients' - it really shows how endlessly creative you can get with these materials. So cool!

I don't know much materials from The Stranglers, but will give that album a spin now. I do remember 'Golden Brown' with that off-putting rhythm - cheeky in a good way I'd say.

Cheers!

I hear you, and agree; it's very inspirational to hear how others approach a song. Your way of approaching this one is one I will definitely keep with me, should I find myself near a saxophone-guitar combo song again Smile Fitting the rest to the dominant instrument is a great way to do it, so I learned something. Thanks man!

The Stranglers changed their sound a lot as they progressed. The album I quoted is very punky and crude. I'm not sure if they even did much else to it than simply record their playing and then calling it a day Smile But it works for the songs they have on that one. Especially the last track on it "Down in the sewer", which is just a roller to let your hair hang loose on Smile

Their sound became a lot more 'commercial' later on, with "Golden brown" being a classic (I actually love that one, but taste is personal of course so each to their own I guess Smile )

See you out there Ringo Smile
Hey Ringo!

I love the movement you have over the different sections. I like how you brought up the second half of the choruses, but maybe they could be done a tiny bit less. If you were mixing into a mixbuss compressor, I would take a look at a couple of the hits in some of those louder bits of the chorus. If you automated the sections up by hand, maybe a slightly more subtle bump could be used, but it definitely adds energy and movement the way that it is now.

I felt like the guitar solo section was a bit tucked back, with the di track way out front, but, as your were going to a punkish crude feel, it definitely fits the bill in a way that I can't argue against. If you were going for a polished solo section, then I may take a look at your levels there, but I do love the "devil may care" attitude it brings.

I did have a slightly odd feeling about the snare during the verse sections. It seems like it was separate from the other instruments in a way. Maybe automate the room mics down a touch during the verse, or if the snare is pumped into a small room reverb, maybe dial that back just a little bit? It just kind of caught my attention, like the kick and cymbals are in one room, and the snare is in another room.

Overall it has a definite mood and vibe that was good to listen to!

Nice work!
Draper
Hi Draper!

Thanks for your very careful feedback. You have a very good ear and/or have listened very well! I'm going back to my mix with your remarks in mind to see if I can hear them a bit through your ears as well :-).

Cheers!
nice balance. i ike the di in the guitar solo, but feel maybe the drums and sax aren't in the same space and maybe a little more power (listening on headphones)