Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magilla
My mix. Comments welcome
Hi Edsa!

A few things that I hear in your mix. Your drums sound very small compared to your guitars and especially the sax. I think I hear some unprocessed guitar DI tracks in there as well. If you don't have any amp sim plugins, or the ability to reamp, maybe cut those tracks, or find some way to really alter their tone.

I think the sax sounds nice, and I loved the heavy guitar hits in the bridge section, and I also really liked the fact that you automated in sax room later in the song.

Earlier in the mix, things got covered pretty quickly, once other instruments started coming in. Take a look at some of your EQ and panning decisions to see where you might be able to separate out some of the individual instruments.

Lastly, I appreciate a quiet mix, but this seems a bit on the really low side of the spectrum. Maybe you're monitoring too loudly?

I hope my thoughts make sense, are accurate, and gave a clear view of what I thought. Nice work, and keep it up!

Draper
(26-11-2019, 01:09 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Hi Edsa!

A few things that I hear in your mix. Your drums sound very small compared to your guitars and especially the sax. I think I hear some unprocessed guitar DI tracks in there as well. If you don't have any amp sim plugins, or the ability to reamp, maybe cut those tracks, or find some way to really alter their tone.

I think the sax sounds nice, and I loved the heavy guitar hits in the bridge section, and I also really liked the fact that you automated in sax room later in the song.

Earlier in the mix, things got covered pretty quickly, once other instruments started coming in. Take a look at some of your EQ and panning decisions to see where you might be able to separate out some of the individual instruments.

Lastly, I appreciate a quiet mix, but this seems a bit on the really low side of the spectrum. Maybe you're monitoring too loudly?

I hope my thoughts make sense, are accurate, and gave a clear view of what I thought. Nice work, and keep it up!

Draper

thanks for the comments and constructive criticism. the points you make are all valid and useful in how I approach my next mix project

Ed
Hey !

I loved your use of that reverb on certain guitar parts ! Maybe a bit too much, I'd have maybe side-chained it or just kept it at the end of the sequences.
At 3:02~ there a sudden rise of the low-end on the bass. You may want to compress it more.

Also, I feel like the saxophone fights with the guitars in the spectrum. Maybe some EQ is needed there.
As Loweche said, I can hear some DI guitars. It would definitely enhance your mix if you had some amp simulators ! Ableton even got some built in ! Smile

Good job !