Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion - Cello Track
Thought I'd open a discussion thread here regarding the cello track and the various oversaturation throughout.

How did you go about dealing with this?
BA(Hons) Audio Production at SAE London

I don't know the multitracks but I listened to a couple of other mixes. They don't sound oversaturated to me. They're really closed mic'ed so you're hearing a lot of rosin and string and harmonics. That's probably both by necessity because it sounds like a live recording and by preference of the artist. There isn't a whole lot to do about that. Maybe roll off some high end? But who knows if that compromise will work or be an improvement. Do you feel like other mixers were able to deal with the sound of the cellos in a way you like? You may just have to relax and accept it and roll with it.
(13-11-2019, 01:31 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I don't know the multitracks but I listened to a couple of other mixes. They don't sound oversaturated to me. They're really closed mic'ed so you're hearing a lot of rosin and string and harmonics. That's probably both by necessity because it sounds like a live recording and by preference of the artist. There isn't a whole lot to do about that. Maybe roll off some high end? But who knows if that compromise will work or be an improvement. Do you feel like other mixers were able to deal with the sound of the cellos in a way you like? You may just have to relax and accept it and roll with it.

It wasn't the bow sound, but just the cello close mic that ended up getting too hot and clipping. I ended up taking that channel way down in the mix with some top end rolled off of it. Also ended up doing some fancy stuff I usually only reserve for "ehhhhh, does it REALLLY need it?" situations.

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=30333
BA(Hons) Audio Production at SAE London