Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Prog Rock mix :-) pls give me feedback
Hi!
This was fun !
I tried to make it as dynamic as possible.
No automations
No mastering (drums are too upfront without master bus compression/limiting)

.mp3    Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.95 MB)

pls give me some harsh feedback. :-)
Anyone?
Hi, besides too much fx on gtrs, mix is very cool. Drums and bass sound nice. Left Tom is a bit thin on bottom. Drop one more version without as much revrb on gtrs and sax and will be cool.
Allow a little to criticize?
Why does Snare sound like a beer keg? ))))
- The AFC is correct in terms of indicators, but it is audibly determined by the offset to 300 Hz, and the upper frequencies are not enough.
- The balance of the instruments is somewhat limping: saxophone, guitar solo, too quiet. For some reason, "Mad Snare" sounds louder than anybody else, followed by Kick, while other instruments sit in the corners of a wide panorama.
- The panning is wide enough, but sounds unconvincing as the leading tools are scattered around the corners.
- The sound is not overcompressed, but it reaches RMS -8.3 dB in the culmination moments. However, TruePeak is breached to +0.2. It's possible that this has something to do with converting to MP3. In the future, it is worth considering the feature of converters to exceed "0" when converting.
- There's too much reverberation, in my opinion. The sound is floating. It feels like you're in an empty gym.
- There are several parts in this mix, each of which should have its own character. But since saturation was either not used or not changed during the sound process, all the parts were blurred. If I tried to sell this tape, I couldn't do it because the listener wouldn't understand anything about it. It was necessary to address these issues in more detail.
- The dynamics seem to be going well. But the climax (00:57, 01:53 and so on) does not look like the climax. However, the volume differences are quite large for the indicators. In general, if you believe only the indicators (except TruePeak), everything should be very good here.
But for some reason, it's not like that.

What can be fixed?
1. Snare to give a decent look
2. Align the balance of the instruments: louder saxophone, much louder than a solo guitar. Low volume the Snare, Low volume the Kick.
3. Put the saxophone and the solo shitaru much closer to the center, no further than 10% from the center.
4. Ceiling to fall below the current level by 0.4
5. Do something about reverberation to make the gym disappear.
6. Think about how each part should sound and give them character. Work on the saturation. Use automation.

- My mix is here (feel free to criticize it): http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...4#pid89664
- The original (I don't like the sound of it) is here (#3): https://turbosauro1.bandcamp.com/releases
Alexander