Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Access Denied AndyG Mix
Hey Smile Cool mix i like the drums. The guitars are really hurting my ears though, needs to get a bit fixed in the highmids, other then that really good.
(03-11-2019, 04:01 PM)AndyGallas Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 01:43 PM)m.b.arba Wrote: I would use some (more) post fx automation on the master bus. The passages that are a bit louder sound overcompressed to me. But I guess it fits the genre.

Thank you for listening!
There is actually not that much compression going on. I think it's just the arrangement which gets very dense in the loud parts.

The multitrack has been extensively processed already, so any more processing simply adds to the really unpleasant digital non-linear artifacts.

Interesting that I should remember this post.........

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...7#pid71467

You might not have much compression running, but you're slamming the limiter. The image is because you can't hear it!

There's a lot of density indeed, but that's not a reason to lean on the limiter and crush the dog snot out of what little remained after their exploits. What you need to do is find out how to control the levels and the headroom available by working what you've got so that by the time you get to the dense regions, you still have some ceiling left.

You need to fix the upper mids and treble as a matter of urgency too; they are a hazard. I wonder if this is what a previous poster meant by the guitars sounding thin? They are a problem generally because they didn't apply the fx correctly, and on top of that, the low mids are terribly smeared from room interference giving us little chance to warm things up without losing clarity. Post compression won't have helped, either.

I do understand the temptation to make the mixmaster even louder in order to try and get it sounding more exciting, but all you are doing is kidding yourself that you are making things better. If this forum was utilizing Loudness Normalisation during playback, you'd be better able to understand the audio carnage that's occurring, but you can check this at home!

Louder appears good because of psychoacoustics, until it's loudness normalised when the real truth is revealed. The whole idea of using a brickwall limiter isn't to make bricks and kill any remaining dynamics.

Thumbnail(s)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
V2:
Overall I enjoy listening to it. It's over-aggressive, if that's a term, in the upper mids. Mostly the guitars but also the vocals and cymbals. It adds to the excitement of the mix but does get a little hard to listen too. There is a good bit of dynamics. The chorus lifts and that's what you're looking for.

The bass feels cool. The snare is solid but they have the room to do that. Everything else crowds in that narrow 2k world.

In the end, there's a lot of 'traffic' in the upper mids. You can redistribute some of that and still have a full mix that's a bit less harsh. That said, it's a successful mix because i still want to listen to it. It feels like an 'artsy' song and aggressive mix choices can work for it.
(03-11-2019, 05:23 PM)m.b.arba Wrote: The gtr are just under the threshold of being 'too harsh' but that's what gives them the impact imo. I like v2 more though.
Maybe you can try to make the kick punchier/more focused in the low end.
PS: I like your mix the most (up until know).

Thank you for listening!
I know exactly what you mean with the kick but I really like the ton of dynamic the drummer has. I find if you listen from an emotional standpoint (not from a logical), the playing of the kick how he did it makes a lot of sense.
(04-11-2019, 09:45 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hey Smile Cool mix i like the drums. The guitars are really hurting my ears though, needs to get a bit fixed in the highmids, other then that really good.

Thank you very much!
Though the guits might be a lil strong in the upper mids, I think they work (Mix2).

Cheers!
(07-11-2019, 06:57 PM)Monk Wrote: The multitrack has been extensively processed already, so any more processing simply adds to the really unpleasant digital non-linear artifacts.

Interesting that I should remember this post.........

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...7#pid71467

You might not have much compression running, but you're slamming the limiter. The image is because you can't hear it!

There's a lot of density indeed, but that's not a reason to lean on the limiter and crush the dog snot out of what little remained after their exploits. What you need to do is find out how to control the levels and the headroom available by working what you've got so that by the time you get to the dense regions, you still have some ceiling left.

You need to fix the upper mids and treble as a matter of urgency too; they are a hazard. I wonder if this is what a previous poster meant by the guitars sounding thin? They are a problem generally because they didn't apply the fx correctly, and on top of that, the low mids are terribly smeared from room interference giving us little chance to warm things up without losing clarity. Post compression won't have helped, either.

I do understand the temptation to make the mixmaster even louder in order to try and get it sounding more exciting, but all you are doing is kidding yourself that you are making things better. If this forum was utilizing Loudness Normalisation during playback, you'd be better able to understand the audio carnage that's occurring, but you can check this at home!

Louder appears good because of psychoacoustics, until it's loudness normalised when the real truth is revealed. The whole idea of using a brickwall limiter isn't to make bricks and kill any remaining dynamics.

Thanks for listening!
I don't think that the tracks are more processed than a lot of other stuff I mixed. And why do you presume that I don't know how to release a loud mix without destroying it?

I attached the mix 2 with and without loudness treatment level matched.

Cheers!

.mp3    AccesDeniedMix3_wL.mp3 --  (Download: 11.01 MB)

.mp3    AccesDeniedMix3_woL.mp3 --  (Download: 11.01 MB)

(07-11-2019, 07:23 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: V2:
Overall I enjoy listening to it. It's over-aggressive, if that's a term, in the upper mids. Mostly the guitars but also the vocals and cymbals. It adds to the excitement of the mix but does get a little hard to listen too. There is a good bit of dynamics. The chorus lifts and that's what you're looking for.

The bass feels cool. The snare is solid but they have the room to do that. Everything else crowds in that narrow 2k world.

In the end, there's a lot of 'traffic' in the upper mids. You can redistribute some of that and still have a full mix that's a bit less harsh. That said, it's a successful mix because i still want to listen to it. It feels like an 'artsy' song and aggressive mix choices can work for it.

Thanks for listening!
Well yes to me it's all about working out and carrying emotions.

Cheers!
(07-11-2019, 09:10 PM)AndyGallas Wrote: Thanks for listening!

Cheers!
Yes. As it should be. But it has to be tempered and presentable. And that is mixing. Emotion is greater than technical. But make sure it's palatable.

(07-11-2019, 09:14 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 09:10 PM)AndyGallas Wrote: Thanks for listening!

Cheers!
Yes. As it should be. But it has to be tempered and presentable. And that is mixing. Emotion is greater than technical. But make sure it's palatable.

Sure but sometimes there will still be some discrepancy in taste left – even in this thread. Some likes it some don't. I do know the issues of this production and I'm really looking forward to learn from the better mixers here.

Cheers!
I listened to mix2 and my first thought was you have a very similar sound to Daniel Heath Smile (If you listen to his track "One Way" you will find, similar to your track, the same HUGE rooms the sound seems submerged in, which I like Smile Gives lots of character)