David Tyo - Long Way Home
Hi everybody,

Here's my mix for this great song.

Your feedback are very welcome!

EDIT: Published a new version of it:
- Treated some lead vocal resonances
- Better separation between bass and kick drum
- Some minor improvements on guitars tone
- A lot more automation (levels, effects, etc.)

EDIT 2: New version several months after the first mix: Long Way Home_II_20200420.mp3
- Changes in some instruments panning
- Reviewed some balances
- Some more automation

EDIT 3: New version: Long Way Home_III_20200426.mp3
- Some improvements inspired by Mike's livestream on this song last Thursday

Cheers,
Skipper

.mp3    Long Way Home_5.mp3 --  (Download: 11.65 MB)

.mp3    Long Way Home_6_44100.mp3 --  (Download: 11.65 MB)

.mp3    Long Way Home_II_20200420.mp3 --  (Download: 11.65 MB)

.mp3    Long Way Home_III_20200426.mp3 --  (Download: 11.65 MB)

Please check my new mix version (Long Way Home_6_44100.mp3).
Hi Skipper,
I liked the way you started you mix... (talking about the last one)... drums are sounding great, the bass has a good tone (maybe a little bit louder)...and I liked how you worked with the vocal eq... you left it sounding with a different personallity from the most mixes. The only thing I think in my opinion is sounding uncomfortable it's the guitars fighting with the piano and the lead vocal in the center of the mix. For me, there are too much information in the center...I think you could play more with the L/R with the instruments and leave more space for the vocal and the piano. Just my opinion. But is going in the way to be a great mix.
If you have time check mine too. Regards
ALEXANDRE LACK
Musical Producer
[email protected]
Very nice. One suggestion would be a touch more environment on guitar 1 and lead vocal to glue them better with the overall image you created. Snare sound is different but OK. Good harmony vocals.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(27-10-2019, 09:06 AM)alexandre_lack Wrote: Hi Skipper,
I liked the way you started you mix... (talking about the last one)... drums are sounding great, the bass has a good tone (maybe a little bit louder)...and I liked how you worked with the vocal eq... you left it sounding with a different personallity from the most mixes. The only thing I think in my opinion is sounding uncomfortable it's the guitars fighting with the piano and the lead vocal in the center of the mix. For me, there are too much information in the center...I think you could play more with the L/R with the instruments and leave more space for the vocal and the piano. Just my opinion. But is going in the way to be a great mix.
If you have time check mine too. Regards

Hi Alexandre,

Thank you very much for your comments. The instruments panning was a deliberate choice, but I will create an alternate version later where I'll carve out some more space in the middle for the lead vocal to see how it sounds.
I'll check yours in a few minutes.

(27-10-2019, 08:12 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Very nice. One suggestion would be a touch more environment on guitar 1 and lead vocal to glue them better with the overall image you created. Snare sound is different but OK. Good harmony vocals.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Published a new version of my mix (in the first post) several months after the first mix: Long Way Home_II_20200420.mp3
Hi !

That's a good strategy to review your own mixes with months between versions.

Balance is good, we can here pretty much everything. Vocals are upfront which is very important for this type of music. GOOD JOB.

I would suggest to make everything more wet. It's missing reverb on drums and vocals in my opinion. I would use some on guitars too to fill up the space between each instruments

I would also use more compression in the overall. Try to do parallel processing to not kill the dynamics of the song and keep momentums at the end of verses.

Hope this was useful for you.
(21-04-2020, 10:48 AM)robin6724 Wrote: Hi !

That's a good strategy to review your own mixes with months between versions.

Balance is good, we can here pretty much everything. Vocals are upfront which is very important for this type of music. GOOD JOB.

I would suggest to make everything more wet. It's missing reverb on drums and vocals in my opinion. I would use some on guitars too to fill up the space between each instruments

I would also use more compression in the overall. Try to do parallel processing to not kill the dynamics of the song and keep momentums at the end of verses.

Hope this was useful for you.

Thank you!
Updated once again my mix. Please check it out!