Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated 10-24: Fytakyte - Outa Control - Master 8
Hi,

My initial thoughts on first listen are that the "Master 8" version sounds quite thin and distant to me here, and is getting a touch 'papery' perhaps?

I feel the vocal eq and vocal treatment (phaser/flanger type effect) isn't really helping the mix, and is adding to the thin/distant feeling, as is the reverb. It seems to be quite an upper mid-forward sounding mix, rather than mid forward to me.

I think the vocal effect would probably work better as a send effect, with a lot of top end rolled off. I also feel the reverbs used in this mix should be tucked in a bit more, also with a bit more top end roll off than at present.

I suspect there is perhaps too much energy build up in the 600-800hz region, and perhaps the 4-6k region.
Also perhaps too big a volume jump at the 3 minute mark also?

There are a lot of good ideas here and I feel there is a good mix in there, but it seems to be missing it's potential, and seems somewhat out of balance eq wise to me?
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Very grundgy feel on this mix. I like the energy of the bass.. Not sure how I feel about the reverb on those vocals and guitars though. Maybe it's my biased Metalcore preference Lol. Overall sounds very interesting.. all those crescendos with the back voices and guitars sound really insteresting. I should mix this and see what I can do. Most of my mixes are very standard though I'm not very creative with it comes to bring something unique in the mix.
(26-10-2019, 01:53 AM)Shul Wrote: Very grundgy feel on this mix. I like the energy of the bass.. Not sure how I feel about the reverb on those vocals and guitars though. Maybe it's my biased Metalcore preference Lol. Overall sounds very interesting.. all those crescendos with the back voices and guitars sound really insteresting. I should mix this and see what I can do. Most of my mixes are very standard though I'm not very creative with it comes to bring something unique in the mix.

Thanks for your ears on this Shul.

My take on this tune is decidedly Pop. I'm not a metallurgist, so to speak.

I wanted to talk about the effects and reverb you mentioned. Only three of the guitars tracks have added effects and that consists mostly of echo to enhance the pulse of the beat and two have some drum or vocal reverb on them for some glue. The vocal has two stages of environment, one, a plate for ambience and then a larger space for fit. I was a little short on ideas for the vocals but I do have some pitch shifting on the lead to broaden and fatten. Since the drums use only the environment provided with the tracks I was trying to stay close to that space with the limited added effects I chose.

I'm looking forward to hearing your metal take on this.

Thanks again for your input and time.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(25-10-2019, 07:50 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

My initial thoughts on first listen are that the "Master 8" version sounds quite thin and distant to me here, and is getting a touch 'papery' perhaps?

I feel the vocal eq and vocal treatment (phaser/flanger type effect) isn't really helping the mix, and is adding to the thin/distant feeling, as is the reverb. It seems to be quite an upper mid-forward sounding mix, rather than mid forward to me.

I think the vocal effect would probably work better as a send effect, with a lot of top end rolled off. I also feel the reverbs used in this mix should be tucked in a bit more, also with a bit more top end roll off than at present.

I suspect there is perhaps too much energy build up in the 600-800hz region, and perhaps the 4-6k region.
Also perhaps too big a volume jump at the 3 minute mark also?

There are a lot of good ideas here and I feel there is a good mix in there, but it seems to be missing it's potential, and seems somewhat out of balance eq wise to me?

Thanks for the listen, Mike. As I am not a 'metal' guy I will defer those here with better chops in that area. My approach was much more mainstream and Pop-ish.

Again, thanks for the listen and the comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi,

Don't get me wrong, I do really like the approach you've taken with this mix. I guess I was trying to say that it sounds a touch bright to my ears at times, and that perhaps the effects are adding to that? There are also the occasional bright snare hits too in the original tracks, eg around the 18 second mark? Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!