Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Prodigal Son" - My mix
This is my version... I hope you like and comment it.

.mp3    Starnes And Shah - Prodigal Son.mp3 --  (Download: 4.18 MB)

Hi. Everything is great but the bass.

It's really loud and grabs too much attention. Through the whole song it's difficult to focus on the rest of the music. And at the beginning the listener's ears tend to tune with the drums, and then get blasted when the bass enters. As much as I like to hear the bass, it should be turned down a bit, and cleaned in the low frequencies. Adding some clarity to the attack or string sound will help too. Another method could be to add highs to all other instruments, but I think this will affect the sound too much. You could also compress it with a slow attack rate, just to curb the sustain.

So tame the bass. The rest of the mix is really nice.
Hi Ansercanagicus, first of all thanks for your comment.

You're right, the bass is too loud and has too LF. I'll take it down, or apply a different EQ, or both... My new version will soon come...
Hello, here is the new mix.
The bass is not so invasive as the first try... Check it and comment please Smile

.mp3    Starnes And Shah - Prodigal Son 2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.25 MB)

The bass works a lot better now. The focus is on the vocal duet which I think is the point of the song.

at 1:23 a wild guitar appears, and the tone a bit off, the saturation is really dirty and noisy. It could blend better with the rest of the mix that is clearer. Or it could be turned down a bit, or spacialized even more to be part of the background instead of being thrown right in the middle of the singing. At 1:26 precisely when the next lyric begins, the guitar and singing overlap a bit.

From 2:13 a special atmosphere is forming with the vocals and the large amount of reverb on strings. It sounds really nice, and I think it could be turned up, because it is too faint compared to the kick and snare there. A mere volume automation should be fine. That would just be an enhancement, it already sounds good but also somewhat empty.