Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyndsey Ollard: Catching Up (Glider Mix)
Hello everyone, I noticed this site had a forum for posting your own mixes. I listened to this track and enjoyed the guitars and overall arrangement, and I noticed that the vocal takes were decomped, so I wanted to try my hand in mixing the song. My vocal track is a combination of several sections from all five tracks, along with my own stereo arrangement of the guitar work. I enjoyed mixing this track and would love to hear anyone's feedback. Thank you.

10/18/19 Update:

Here is my new mix, from the ground up. Changed up alot of things and made the track more atmospheric, Mazzy Star style with the female vocalist and E-Bow (I believe being used) on the far guitar more ethereal. Of course, the snare drum is punchier and more present. Different guitar arrangement as well. Vocals may still need more de-essing but I don't find them as cut and dry as before.

.m4a    Lyndsey Ollard - Catching Up (Glider Mix) [aac].m4a --  (Download: 9.14 MB)

.mp3    Lyndsey Ollard - Catching Up (Glider Remix No. 2).mp3 --  (Download: 8.77 MB)

Good job with the guitars, maybe a tiny more reverb on the left one could make it more distant, but it sounds really nice.

Hi. It sounds good. The biggest problem of your mix is the high end, and although it goes unnotice for the first two minutes, it becomes a huge flaw when the song gets louder. One of the first cue was this "s" at 1:49 "DeSSStination", you need a de-esser on this one. And then at 2:20 : overheads are too powerful in the highs and rip my ears off. Bringing the highs down here is really important. Fortunately this problem is easy to tackle.

Then for more subjective criticism:
- the vocals a bit dry, but it's not a big deal
- the bass sounds strange (no attack ? no harmonics ?) and muddy. A sweeping eq shall tell you easily where to cut and where to boost to make it more natural
- the drums lack a bit a definition but that's not even a problem since they're only companioning the rest of the music. It works as it is. The snare tone is a bit off though

Alright, good mix overall, but yeah it gets way too violent at 2:20

Updated with a new mix.
Hi. The new mix sounds way better, you did change a lot of things!
Letting the rhythm guitars take the led over bass works really well in this case

My only subjective complain would be the snare, that you made "punchier" you said. I think the tone is still a bit off, and that giving it more presence only made it jump out of the mix from 1:10 to 2:20. All instruments blend very well but the snare has a little something odd. Like a said in my first post the drums are only following the rest of the music there, a has very little momentum, so keeping them at a soft volume worked better I think.

From 2:20, all the drum parts gain more momentum, and the drum kit sounds more coherent. Still, the sound really forward and dry, as opposed to the rest of the song that is atmospheric and wet. Maybe you could turn the drums a little bit down, or give them more room mic.

On the other hand, there's something pleasing about this punchy snare coupling the guitar strums in the verse (from 2:20). I goes "pom (pom) TCHAK (), pom (pom) TCHAK ()" and is subtle enough. I don't know if tweaking the drums will have bad consequences on this cool effect