Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
My first attempt
My approach was to compress the miked track to bring up the guitar. Then added a high pass filter @ 150hz, -6db notch at 270Hz, +2.5db boost @ 2.6KHz to add clarity and a couple of db added at 7kHz. Added a splash of reverb and equal power panning L & R.

Accoustic guitar high pass filter @120Hz, -10db notch at 430Hz, - 10db notch @3.6kHz due to a bit buzz?? panned left 70% and room reverb.

Sax high pass at 300Hz as there is nothing below, -3db notch @445Hz and -6db @2.6kHz and room reverb.

Mix bus compression 2:1 to hold together, LKJB eq set to mastering +1 @ 160Hz, -2 @ 640Hz high boost of 7 at 40KHz and the channel strip high pass at 120Hz.
Finally a touch of tape saturation and limiter.

.mp3    Brahms\'s \'Hungarian Dance No. 5.mp3 --  (Download: 6.52 MB)

Hi. I like that you explained what you did, it makes everything easier to follow. On the other hand you don't need to give so much details. It is pretty obvious that you should high pass the tracks and remove the unwanted lows without damaging the instruments's timber. Nothing wrong with what you did.

The sax sounds great. The reverb is gentle enough. However I feel there's a problem with the guitar. Is a bit noisy and the attacks are really blunt. It's more audible on the first seconds of the track, when the guitar sounds muffled and as a kind of bad pizzicato feeling (while it should be strumming). I'll admit the DI is difficult to work with. The blank in the stems sound really unnatural, and adding reverb was necessary

Likely it is due to your first compression, maybe using an improper attack rate, or to low of a threshold. You could also reshape the tone using sweeping eq technique. I'd say you should remove a bit of the energy around 1kHz, so it's less blunt, and also softly raise some other parts of the spectrum to gain even more clarity.

Or maybe it's your final compression or limiting, but I'm not sure. Part from that everything is good.

That sounds really good! I agree with Anser above.

I'm curious: what is 'high boost of 7 at 40KHz" supposed to achieve?

Great work!
(10-10-2019, 12:37 PM)Ansercanagicus Wrote: Hi. I like that you explained what you did, it makes everything easier to follow. On the other hand you don't need to give so much details. It is pretty obvious that you should high pass the tracks and remove the unwanted lows without damaging the instruments's timber. Nothing wrong with what you did.

The sax sounds great. The reverb is gentle enough. However I feel there's a problem with the guitar. Is a bit noisy and the attacks are really blunt. It's more audible on the first seconds of the track, when the guitar sounds muffled and as a kind of bad pizzicato feeling (while it should be strumming). I'll admit the DI is difficult to work with. The blank in the stems sound really unnatural, and adding reverb was necessary

Likely it is due to your first compression, maybe using an improper attack rate, or to low of a threshold. You could also reshape the tone using sweeping eq technique. I'd say you should remove a bit of the energy around 1kHz, so it's less blunt, and also softly raise some other parts of the spectrum to gain even more clarity.

Or maybe it's your final compression or limiting, but I'm not sure. Part from that everything is good.
Thanks, i do go on at times.

The guitar squeaks and buzzes are prominent. Will automate the volumes and eq to get control. The eq sounds dull today (ear fatigue yesterday) added a bit gain at 3k.

Attack time was very low and transient was being smashed.

Mix bus limiter tweaking required and a cut around 1k to clear out the muck and energy.

Will re do and post.
Thanks again.
(10-10-2019, 01:47 PM)lmat Wrote: That sounds really good! I agree with Anser above.

I'm curious: what is 'high boost of 7 at 40KHz" supposed to achieve?

Great work!

Hi there.
The 40k should have effect but, the slope and gain of 7db seems to clarify the sax. At 5k the sound become a little brittle and 10 & 20k the gain needs to be pushed even more. Just seems to help the sax in my mind.

Will re post once i've had another go.
Thanks.