Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
daisy daisy
Hi. This is my take on Daisy Daisy. The biggest issues were the murky drums with misaligned stems and lots of bleeding. I went through tons of equalization before reaching something correct. Most of the instruments were fighting one another too so I used side chain compression on almost each stem.

My problem still is the solo, I don't like the guitar tone very much, and I don't know what would be better between having it dry and upfront, or letting it in the background.

.mp3    daisy daisy 2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.33 MB)

It's a clear mix, but the guitars and especially the vocals are in the background, whereas you'd want them upfront instead of the bass.
Solo guitar in the background sounds fine though
Yes that's true, but that bass was really compelling. It's also that I like to keep a wide dynamic range, and ultimately the different parts don't feel tied up enough.

Thank you for your answer.
Hi. I tried to fix the addressed issues, mainly putting the guitars more forward.

The problem is that they are really dirty and very flat, with almost no rhythmic value. They're just a wall of pssssssssh... That's in the first place I wanted to keep the bass on the front. You can try to listen to the song without guitars and it's still cool, while if you keep the guitars and remove the bass it's not that great.

So I tried to give the guitars more punch. I sliced them in two parts: the jumping one and the flat one. The jumping part mainly has lows and mids, and is like "bom bom bom bom". The flat part mainly has highs, and the bits of lows and mids which were just plain resonance. It sounds like "psssssh".
Then I tried to extand the dynamic range of the jumping part with several layers of parallel compression, in attempt to hear the pick attack better. It worked but not as much as I hoped, since even the "jumping" part is in fact relatively flat. I then balanced the two parts to have better guitars.

I changed some little things, more compression on drums and vocals to tie everything together. I also saturated one of the vocals stem. And tried to push the guitar forward but they ate a lot of stuff. Like I said they're flat, and now the result is just a constant upfront noise, that I was forced to carve with side chain compression from the snare, bass attack and vocals. By raising the distant guitars to a louder volume I reduced the dynamic range too much, and now the song is like a dense bar of dark matter.

And the biggest issue for me is still the tone for the solo. It is full of nasty whistling overtones I can't get rid of. If anyone has a solution please tell me. I don't feel like cut each overtones with a sharp substractive eq, that would be too much work and complication.

So here it is. n°3 is what I just described, and n°4 is a balance of 40% n°2 and 60% n°3. The dynamic range is better and the guitars are less noisy. It is true that n°2 was dark and lacked presence, but in the end it was more bearable.
Or did I do something wrong ? advice ?

.mp3    daisy daisy 3.mp3 --  (Download: 3.33 MB)

.mp3    daisy daisy 4.mp3 --  (Download: 4.65 MB)