Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
David Tyo- "Long Way Home" - New Update
This is such an incredibly sensitive song, and the lyrics are a rare combination of melancholy and joy. I don't know the actual mindset of what this song is actually about, but it reminds me to appreciate life and to enjoy every moment. Here today; gone tomorrow, but meanwhile, we can always take the long way home. My gratitude to David Tyo for creating this piece!

The vocal had some issues being sometimes forward, other times less so. I'm sure this was his expressive approach, and I tried not to alter it too much, but some compression was used, as well as other FX. The bass guitar also seemed to come-and-go, but I hope I managed it okay

I did my best on this and welcome any comments, if there's something I missed. I'd like this mix considered in the contest, and hope the best mix will win, which is what this wonderful song deserves.

.mp3    Project - David Tyo - Long Way Home.mp3 --  (Download: 11.53 MB)

.mp3    Project - David Tyo - Long Way Home 2b.mp3 --  (Download: 11.58 MB)

.mp3    Project - David Tyo - Long Way Home 3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.7 MB)

Interesting approach. The vocals seem to suffer from over-dub anomalies with varying intensities, timbres and levels. That was one of the real challenges of the song. The phasing on the lead vocal is an unusual touch.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
The vocal fx are pretty wet and could distract from the song, i'd turn the fx down a bit to get a better lower blend. Right now it seem 50-50 and something like 80% dry, 20% wet would serve the mix better.
I've uploaded a second mix "Long Way Home 2b", in which I've tried to reduce some of the FX, so as to bring the lead vocal more toward the front and more intimate. I also worked a bit on the acoustic guitar sound in the mix. Thanks to those kind folks who thus far commented with helpful advice and ideas.... I'm here to learn and appreciate your input.
The only thing i am hearing is vocal and bass. Try grouping. and adjusting the balance of the groups with eachother.
(20-10-2019, 11:54 PM)Imagine Mix Studio Wrote: The only thing i am hearing is vocal and bass. Try grouping. and adjusting the balance of the groups with each other.

Thanks for you welcome comment, James. I've remixed "Long Way Home" again taking into consideration your suggestions. I agree, my first mixes were a bit soft and the instruments were too low in the mix. A lot of the mixes I've heard are a bit too bright and I didn't want to go that way, either, but hope I managed it better in this new effort... thanks again for commenting.