Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May - 'On The Line'
Here's my attempt to mix this beautiful song.

Thank you in advance for your comments!

.mp3    James May - On The Line.mp3 --  (Download: 7.82 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Its a pleasant lively mix, and I like the fact you set the voice behind, maybe a tad too much, but it makes the music speak. The cellos sound beautiful and natural. Maybe a little too natural, most cellos have a resonance and speakin of resonance there is an excellent article here
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct12/ar...e-1012.htm
suggestin many clever things, for instance narrow cuts on difrent instruments. I used that a lot when I mixed it.

If Im correct you made this on instinct and on your own only one word: Congrats ! Its a fine mix, a little dark and maybe theres a little buildup from instruments in the same deep area, maybe voice could do with (more ?) automation, but the mood is there and evrythings audible.
One crash is a little loud and stick out, 3,44 especially.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I've applied the EQ tips in the article to the cellos, so they should sound better now!

With the crashes, there's a different problem: I used the overhead track as the main base for the drums because the other tracks were not very good. I had two choices in order to fix the louder crashes: automation or use a multiband compressor. I went for the second one because it's something that I still don't find myself quite comfortable with... and I have to practice!!

So here it is. The changes are subtle but anything goes to make it sound better!

.mp3    James May - On The Line.mp3 --  (Download: 5.86 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Its a great mix Juan, I have one suggestion. As it is the drums level make good sense in the firsts verse and chorus of the song, but he plays louder later and sometimes its wise to let the musician be the boss of levels.
Meanin settin the level after how he play after verse and chorus 1, in the solo hes too loud i think, 3rd verse (the heartbeat lyric) it makes sense havin drum lvl up to emphasize that line, but after 3.00 he takes lead again.
My suggestion: take drumbus down 2-3 dB and listen if it makes sense.
If you want to reflect the lyric "heartbeat" in drums, then have a good lvl on them there, also the "knock upon thee door" is answered by drums.
Dont worry if you cant hear him well in first verse. Try hearin it with drums - then m,ute drumbus and see that it makes a difrence they are gone, even if its turned down that much.

Thats about it.
Great job my friend !
Also like its a fairly dry mix, suits the music well.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I liked your suggestion, Niels, and I've been playing around with automations on the drum buss and the vocals as well.

I think that that verse now is less lineal and more "alive". The changes are between 2.30 and 3.00

.mp3    James May - On The Line.mp3 --  (Download: 5.86 MB)

mixing since April 2013
enjoy Smile
mixed with ableton 9
NO MASTER

.mp3    Jamesmay.mp3 --  (Download: 7.81 MB)