Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor Tapes - Shore (STMROB Remix)
I pretty »much like this song. Didn't use the «Room» drum track. No samples used, just the plain tracks.

I added a chorus effect to some of the guitars, to one of the synths, the piano and the second lead vocal, just to spread the sound. Tape delay is added to some of the backing vocal tracks. The lead vocals are compressed through an LA-2A and the snare is sent to a plate reverb.

I guess now I can listen to the official release of this song.

.mp3    Shore.mp3 --  (Download: 5.23 MB)

(03-11-2013, 02:00 PM)STMROB Wrote: I pretty »much like this song. Didn't use the «Room» drum track. No samples used, just the plain tracks.

I added a chorus effect to some of the guitars, to one of the synths, the piano and the second lead vocal, just to spread the sound. Tape delay is added to some of the backing vocal tracks. The lead vocals are compressed through an LA-2A and the snare is sent to a plate reverb.

The effect (I assume chorus) you used on the first guitar is way too overpowering in my opinion.
Kick drum has too much low-end thump to it.
You can kick up the toms as well Big Grin (just my opinion)

Otherwise the balance is good and I think you got a good feel for the track.
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
(04-11-2013, 01:28 PM)Gerrit Wrote:
(03-11-2013, 02:00 PM)STMROB Wrote: I pretty »much like this song. Didn't use the «Room» drum track. No samples used, just the plain tracks.

The effect (I assume chorus) you used on the first guitar is way too overpowering in my opinion.
Kick drum has too much low-end thump to it.
You can kick up the toms as well Big Grin (just my opinion)

Otherwise the balance is good and I think you got a good feel for the track.

Thanks Gerrit

You are right, there is something annoying with the chorus on the guitars. I got rid of the ElectGtr01 track, doubled the ElectGtr02 track and then re-amped the new track. Added only a touch of chorus on both tracks, and tweaked the ElectGtr03 track to get the same length for the guitar parts.

I also lowered the thump level of the kick track, and de-essed the vocals a bit more.

Yes I think this is better.

Regards.

.mp3    Shore.mp3 --  (Download: 5.19 MB)

Yes, it sounds much better now!
I think you could slightly bring down the guitars in the 600-800Hz region. It sounds a little sharp.

Maybe it's just a matter taste, but the lead vocals sounds a bit out of place with the fx you used on them.

Apart from those two things the track sounds really good! Cool

A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
Gerrit,

Quick modifications to get the guitars less agressive (low peak at 500 Hz and 3kHz), and tamed effects on vocals.

Getting better better all the time...

Ragards.

.mp3    Shore.mp3 --  (Download: 5.19 MB)

(05-11-2013, 02:20 PM)STMROB Wrote: Gerrit,

Quick modifications to get the guitars less agressive (low peak at 500 Hz and 3kHz), and tamed effects on vocals.

Getting better better all the time...

Ragards.

Guitars are much, much better!
Really like the sound of the bass and kick!

I noticed that you "tamed" the guitars quite a bit under the vocals.
It sounds right though, they just seem to pop a little in between the vocal sections.

Cool man.
Now it's just rounding off the edges.
Gerrit,

Thanks very much. About the guitars, I generally use automation quite sparsely. In this case, this is a simple docking technique with a compressor on the guitars channel with lead vocals as sidechain input. I set the threshold to obtain a 3 to 4 dB compression when triggered by the vocals. I didn't touch the bass and drum on the last version, just the same as the first version but I guess the listener's attention was called by the agressive or over-effected guitars.

Regards.
(06-11-2013, 12:15 AM)STMROB Wrote: Gerrit,

Thanks very much. About the guitars, I generally use automation quite sparsely. In this case, this is a simple docking technique with a compressor on the guitars channel with lead vocals as sidechain input. I set the threshold to obtain a 3 to 4 dB compression when triggered by the vocals. I didn't touch the bass and drum on the last version, just the same as the first version but I guess the listener's attention was called by the agressive or over-effected guitars.

Regards.

Maybe that is what I was hearing.

Yes. I think the guitars was getting all of my attention in the first mix, maybe because they we're louder it also made the lower frequencies seem further back or lower in the mix. The balance is much better now and they sound good.
Listnin third mix.
Great mix, very difrent from mine but I like what youve done, its dreamy in a harder way.

Only suggestion is automate a lower volume in middle piece, you take the power out of solo by havin it this loud.
Otherwise:

Good job !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(06-11-2013, 03:41 PM)Voelund Wrote: Listnin third mix.
Great mix, very difrent from mine but I like what youve done, its dreamy in a harder way.

Only suggestion is automate a lower volume in middle piece, you take the power out of solo by havin it this loud.
Otherwise:

Good job !

Thanks Veolund. I've listened to some of your work in other threads and I value your comments very much.

Regards