Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some feedback!
Had some fun with this one and tried to do a few subtle things to keep the live vibe going on. Hope you like it, let me know what you think!

.mp3    A Cog In the Machine.mp3 --  (Download: 2.55 MB)

Instruments blend together very well. I like the vibe that you gave to vocal, it has somewhat darker quality, and the reverb and delay you have chosen supports this very well. In terms of timbre vocals has some nasal quality, try to reduce 1-2kHz region a tiny bit. And I would use more compression on vocals or labour at automation to show up every little detail of performance.

Take a closer look at bass, it has some unpleasant resonance around 110 Hz (A), you can tame it with multiband compression.

P.S. 128 kbps MP3 affects sound quality very much, it's very noticable in side component.
Good points Sergei. I went back and pulled out 1.7 dB at around 1.6k and that improve the vocal a lot straight away. thanks for the feedback!
The bass dominates a bit too much for me in the balance, and the sub-150Hz feels overplayed with that instrument too. As a result, I think you've been less inclined to make the most of the low-midrange components of the guitar and drum parts, so despite the bass fullness, the mix as a whole still manages to feel a bit empty/cold to me.

The lead vocal sound feels a bit 'old-radio-ised' to me, as SergeiK said, and I'd not just pull out a little 1kHz but also add some more top octave. Shame not to hear the violin a bit more upfront, somehow, when it comes to solo. If that's just a question of the recorded ambience levels, then bear in mind that distortion can sometimes bring things forward in the mix nonetheless, if applied subtly (and usually in parallel).