Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kind of a modern mix
I took the challenge and kept all original sounds for guitars and didn't use drums samples except snare for some some tail and cymbal for a light accent shaping.
I pushed forward the rhythm section because it is the strongest (to my opinion) arrangement part here. Also tried to emphasize the Bannockburn battle epicness, of which that Scottish guys are fans Smile However, vocal panning and filtering are not very accurate at some points, also I hear some compression artifacts, which I will probably fix later, when I return to this track; for now it is over.

Some more things I did here for those who are interested:
1. Very hard gated live snare with a snare sample with a sidechain compression to apply a missing tail. Played with room and overheads phases a bit to tighten it's tight. Smile Bassdrum is more of a punchy rock EQing than a modern trigger clicks.
2. Amped bass track is also a bit saturated with my favorite B7K, than low-cutted and mixed with the hard-compressed lowband-passed DI. I didn't want to fight masking with an EQ (the reason is also, that at that speed even this tight bass/bassdrum group will loose it a bit), so I sidechained the whole bass by the bassdrum to create a single working machine.
3. Main guitars experienced a lot of surgical cuts, doubletracks are pushed more to the center and back and EQ-ed to make some space feeling. Also I included a DI tracks to emphasize the fundamentals and make the notes a bit cleaner. Additional guitars are, by wonder, not bad at all.
4. Synths are lowcutted and put to the common reverb space with the solo guitars and vocals.
5. Vocals are very distorted. Backs have a very different EQ applied for the separation purposes, also with some detuned chorus to create a "battle cry" effect. I think it was my mistake not to mention the room they been recorded at at the early stage, because it seems to fall out of a space concept of the mix.
6. Also made some creative adjustments to arrangement - again, to move attention to the rhythm section and to differ vocals a bit.

Hope all above will help students like me to progress in some way. Smile Any feedback would be gladly appreciated, of course.

.mp3    Cnoc An Tursa - Bannockburn.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

The whole mix is like high-mid heavy, lacks a bit of low end, and top end. The vocals sound like the singer is singing under a pillow or something, too dry, you could use a bit of delay and reverb. The cymbals have no impact, they are lost in the mix. Always reference your track to a song you know that is mixed really good. The toms are panned too wide (atleast for my taste). Sometimes if you are too surgical about cuts, you might end up with something that has no detail. But this is the humble opinion coming from a guy who has 8 months of experience on this field.
Anyways, not a bad job! Keep practicing, you only get better! Cheers!
The mix lacks lows/ low mids. Don't overdo it with the eq, go easy on it. You don't have to cut every frequency because someone on the internet said so, especially the low end, or you end up with a mix that's missing power and punch.
Thank you guys. I feel and see, that you are right (especially now), but I tuned in to it too much. Smile It would be hard to reinvent the sound here for me. Check my latest songs (Rebuild the evil f.e.) to find issues there. You're welcome there!