Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angels In Amplifiers - I'm Alright
Hello again everybody!

I quite enjoyed mixing this! It's not the type of track I think I'd have made as my first choice and so I was pleasantly surprised that I stuck with it (had to give up on a rap track the other day).

I didn't like some of the "forced monophonic / stereophonic" aspect of some of these tracks (particularly the backing vocals) so I fired up my trusty DAW tools and got to work Smile

There's also a really badly played chord on one of the nylon string guitar tracks towards the end of the first verse, so I fixed that too Wink

I used mainly stock REAPER plugins, with a small dose of a couple of StillWell things (eq and compressor) and maybe a TB reverb.

My main monitoring system is a pair of Behringer passives which have their tweeters at ear-level. This is proving to also be ear-hurting so I'm checking the mix on a mono craptastic speaker, a decent-ish pair of headphones and a bog-standard 2.1 computer (Altec Lansing).

I bought one of those room measuring microphones and a used programmable parametric EQ, so I think I'm going to have to try to decode the room measuring software instructions and measure the room again, because everything's coming out of the Behringers with way too little top end (quite unsurprisingly with those ear-shattering tweeters). My ears are important!

Anyways, I quite like end result of this particular mix on four different systems, so I'm hoping that means I'm picking up this mixing lark Smile

Cheers!

Edit:

There's some smattering going on with certain frequencies in the MP3. It's not there in the .wav! Just so you know Smile

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers-ImAlright.mp3 --  (Download: 2.69 MB)

(02-11-2013, 03:32 AM)ambiguation Wrote: My main monitoring system is a pair of Behringer passives which have their tweeters at ear-level. This is proving to also be ear-hurting so I'm checking the mix on a mono craptastic speaker, a decent-ish pair of headphones and a bog-standard 2.1 computer (Altec Lansing).

I bought one of those room measuring microphones and a used programmable parametric EQ, so I think I'm going to have to try to decode the room measuring software instructions and measure the room again, because everything's coming out of the Behringers with way too little top end (quite unsurprisingly with those ear-shattering tweeters). My ears are important!

Hi - just want to comment on your listnin environment, as Im not in mine right now Big Grin

The idea of measurin the room isnt bad, but the idea of eq as the problemsolver is.
As far as im concerned all acoustic problems come down to 2 things.
Too much or too little bas due to untreated empty room, as many of us mix in bedroomsize rooms the deep bas notes doesnt have space enough for the wavelength, so if the music contain a lot of say 50 hz those big movements of air are likely to cause trouble for other frequencies as well.

Or too many reflections from hard surfaces, makin the room sound harder or and makin it harder to judge where the sound is comin from

Also the choice of speakers are of importance, as no such thing as a linear speaker exist all speakers carry compromises between how loud they can play, how low/high sounds they can paly and how much phase errors they introduce (due to crossover filters)

In theory the best speaker is a single coil big one. I remember one 15" Tannoy living in many studios in the 90s, it sounded just great and had the tweeter on center of the 15"
Well Im blabbing, anyway, the Behringers you have are probably 2 way speakers, and introducing more phase problems (from a master eq) are askin for trouble. Much better using simple tools as a paper towel in front of the tweeter to soften the sound. Im serious Big Grin It may look awful but it doesnt do any bad apart from that.

I guess we all are on a budget and tellin you to buy other speakers, as you have observed the problems of the ones you have, that Im not goin to. But have in mind, when you replace them, that a speaker is like buying a coat, a chair or a house. its goin to live with you sor a long time so buying one you like is far better choice than buying something you can afford right now, just to get it.

I hope I make sense, I had my coffee now and I wish you a great day Big Grin

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thanks for the feedback. You're right - sometimes we should splash out the extra and get the better version. I always thought it was shoes and beds that you should spend a lot on (because you spend so much time in each, you ought to be comfy Big Grin)... I think I'm gonna have to add nearfields to that list Smile

It won't happen any time soon, so I'll try anything I can that'll be helpful in the meantime.

My room, btw is pretty well treated. It's carpeted, and I have quite a number of DIY Rockwool-type absorbers on the wall. Dimensions are roughly 17 x 11 feet with 8ft ceilings. There are two large panels right above the listening area. Maybe I need an overhead one too...

Paper towels will be tried today Smile

Oh, and your tagline - applies to me too Smile
Just listened your mix. Sounds like you have great ear and like you mix on speakers favorin the hi frequencies.
It kicks out in all but the highest ones, and when you hang up that paper towel im sure you will hear its that little trick you needed. At least I hope so. NS10 owners were known to do the same, tuning it by moving the towel Big Grin

Great ix m8, your levels are good and separation are good. Only vox is a tad loud for me, but I like things to blend and often are told I mix voices too soft...

You may steal the tagline, its not copyrighted Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
FWIW I used to mix on JBL speakers, old 4413 model, and its a pretty bright speaker, very flattering, a bit like AKG k240 headphones ...
My mixes significantly changed when I got my Dynaudio BM6a, as I now mix more topend before my ears say stop.
I'm hearing the same thing ... could use a bit more on the top end but agree that it is a very well balanced mix. Regarding the mp3 converting to the best quality available might help Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Many thanks to you both! Very encouraging feedback! Smile

Toilet paper works f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c-a-l-l-y!!!! Smile Smile Smile What a difference!
A kleenex is known to do the same, but one take what one have handy Big Grin

Very glad if that little trick saved you lots o cash :-)
I worked on it a little more with my new toilet paper(!)

I think this one sounds pretty good and the top end doesn't want to take my head off Big Grin

Thanks again for your help & suggestions - you did save me a few quid! Smile

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers-ImAlright_version-05nov2013.mp3 --  (Download: 6.89 MB)