Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore - voelund
Beautiful song and all those guitars were just my cup o tea :-)
I had a vision of Barclay james harvest and other 70 - 80 records i know well, but didnt use any reference track. Just my memory.
Well Whats new to me is tryin to work with a movin kinda bus, rted sendin the hihat in middle piece to it but loed what it did, its a logic thing called spectrum morpher and a ringmodulator, and i just twisted some knobs to get the hihat part movin.
It ended up on some guitars as well ...
The crash cymbals in OH were a bit small so I moved the ones from middle piece and copied where they played, their room mics also run through that ringmodulator bus ...
Then I added some discrete synth pads to fill the chorus a little more, also added an E note to 2nd verse, its a 2nd or 9th, but it sounds right to me Big Grin

I muted some o the tambourine and copied piano part 2 times, makin it closer each time.
Automated a little and now I think the background voxes should have had a deesser treatment too, but thats easy to fix.

All in all its close to how I heard it in my head.

What do you think ?

.mp3    Shore 03a lim.mp3 --  (Download: 5.12 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Niels I like the mix, but there's something weird ...... sounds in my Bose headphones as very pronounced low mid frequencies and the bass is as skinny, I really like your bass that's why I say, put more pepper the bass and will be great.
I would give one overall eq.

that's what I tell my old ears

friend a bear hug!

PD: In my Yamaha´s sounds good!!! cheers!!
Thanks for the tip senor Big Grin I will look into it when I get to the computer again, its family time :-)
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hi Voelund,

to my ears this mix is ready for the RADIO : congratulations for the great job.
In particular I have appreciated :
- the deep presence of the BASS, without killing other instruments
- the PIANO parts, the first of which starts at 1' 32''
- the SNARE of the Drums, full and solid
- last but non least, the balanced PEAK level and RMS level of the MASTER track, which indicate that you respect the ears of others.

Overall 9,5/10
(only because the Lead Vocal, when is without support of backing vocals, is slightly weak to my ears).

Again congratulations.
Have a nice day.
Marco
Nice sounding mix Niels , great job with the arrangement !
The bass sounds a little full somewhere between 155-270hz ( Could be my room ) may need to come down a touch and a slight low boost ,the vocal in verse is a touch soft !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(01-11-2013, 09:07 PM)blackbaron1 Wrote: Hi Voelund,

to my ears this mix is ready for the RADIO : congratulations for the great job.
In particular I have appreciated :
- the deep presence of the BASS, without killing other instruments
- the PIANO parts, the first of which starts at 1' 32''
- the SNARE of the Drums, full and solid
- last but non least, the balanced PEAK level and RMS level of the MASTER track, which indicate that you respect the ears of others.

Overall 9,5/10
(only because the Lead Vocal, when is without support of backing vocals, is slightly weak to my ears).

Again congratulations.
Have a nice day.
Marco

Thank you for the kind words ! I really appreciate them ! Gonna work on the vocals when I get to it again.

(01-11-2013, 09:58 PM)thedon Wrote: Nice sounding mix Niels , great job with the arrangement !
The bass sounds a little full somewhere between 155-270hz ( Could be my room ) may need to come down a touch and a slight low boost ,the vocal in verse is a touch soft !

Thank you Don and glad you like the arrangement. Small changes, but that little piano figure really moves things. Youre absolutely right about the bass and about vox in verses. Fader ridin and thinnin o the bass in that area shold do the trick, and some other small adjustments I may add.

Thank you all Big Grin Appreciate your time and comments !
Now I remember which song it is this one reminds me about.
Barclay james harvest waiting on the borderline.
Not the melody, not the rhythm but the mood and voice.
A signature synth like that one wouldnt be a bad idea to try, if nothin else it would be fun Big Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uW_7CR5Kus
Thanks to the fine response i were led in the direction of changin this, hopefully to the better.
First off i unmuted the first line of 1st verse - am I embarrased ...
Voice up (and double track unmuted to make it stronger) in verses.
Bas thinned in the 200 area.
Hit the deesser harder, and it were added to background voices
Timed the moved piano part first time they arrive, they seemed to rush just there.
Changed the eq to the tambourine.
Added a discret polysynth and a backwards piano.
Automated the last bv, which sounds more like synthvoices, in middlepiece and under solo.
Copied last distorted guitar chord, I felt it were missin next time the D chord came.
Gave the kick a lttle more beef to drive the rhythm better.

How do you like those changes ?

.mp3    Shore 04 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 5.12 MB)

I agree with "thedon" regarding the bass. Lowering it in that freq range should make it sit nicely in the mix.
Maybe the tambourine can come down just a bit.

Apart from that, it's a great mix. Especially like what you did with the piano parts.

Well done!
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
(04-11-2013, 01:40 PM)Gerrit Wrote: I agree with "thedon" regarding the bass. Lowering it in that freq range should make it sit nicely in the mix.
Maybe the tambourine can come down just a bit.

Apart from that, it's a great mix. Especially like what you did with the piano parts.

Well done!

Thank you Gerrit ! I wonder did you listen the first version or the one in post 8 (
If the latter then I have some more work to do.
Appreciate your time and comments Big Grin