Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japan Song - a little air?!
First of all, I'm Daniel and this is my first real mix since some years.
The song is pretty cool! Is there already a official release anywhere?

The mix is done just ITB. Guitars + Bass = free Ampsims ;-)

I tried to get a little bit "air" in the thing but I'm not really happy with it. The cellos are really hard to get in the rest if the mix.

So I'm pretty curious to here some other voices to my first mix. The working time was about 4 hours.

.mp3    japan.mp3 --  (Download: 5.21 MB)

Good job on the mix !!
I think you're relying a bit too heavily on the top octave of the lead vocal to punch through the guitars, which means that things are getting fatiguing up there, and the spittiness of the vocal tone is undermining the impression of power that you clearly want to imply with the guitars. It also means that the verse vocal recedes quite dramatically in a lot of off-axis real-world mass-market listening situations.

In terms of balance, I think I'd like to hear a bit more weight in the kick particularly, but also the snare. They seem a little lightweight. I also get the impression that whatever buss processing you're using might be using attack/release times that are too fast, because I get the impression that it's blunting your transients without giving you any loudness-implying pumping artefacts.

The cello solo feels a bit odd when it arrives -- quite unnatural somehow, as well as too upfront and not blended very well, so it feels rather stuck on. I'd not add that much HF to it myself, certainly. As for the cellos in the outro, I'd not sweat it too much if you can't hear them particularly well -- they're a texture most of the time, at least until the high line comes in later on.
(31-08-2012, 10:05 AM)DBA Wrote: First of all, I'm Daniel and this is my first real mix since some years.
The song is pretty cool! Is there already a official release anywhere?

The mix is done just ITB. Guitars + Bass = free Ampsims ;-)

I tried to get a little bit "air" in the thing but I'm not really happy with it. The cellos are really hard to get in the rest if the mix.

So I'm pretty curious to here some other voices to my first mix. The working time was about 4 hours.

Hey Daniel - Well Mike has pretty much summed things up, but I did like the energy in your mix. The guitars could probably do with a little bit less energy in the low mids, & that might clear some more space for the upper reaches of the bass... but yeah, the low end could definitely use a little more punch & push.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases