Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Kat Wright - Contact (modern style mix)
Hi everybody,
for this project I tried to achieve a modern sounding mix. Basically I tried to introduce variations across the mix, trying to make it engaging in every section and avoid being "boring".

Mixed in the box, Cubase Pro, only plugins and some bus compression to add some vibe/glue. I used a pair of AKG 240mkii for monitoring, maybe I could improve the bottom end. a lot of automations here and there, 3 different reverbs and delay.

the question is, can be cool for a portfolio section?

feedback are welcomed

P.S. one version has reverb on drums and one version doesn't.. the dry version is punchier

.mp3    Kat Mix (drum rev).mp3 --  (Download: 6.18 MB)

.mp3    Kat Mix (no rev).mp3 --  (Download: 6.18 MB)

BUMP

any feedback? do you like it? do you don't like it?

thanks
Where's the rest of the song? It was just about to get to the exciting part.
I dug the distorted delay on the vocal. Thought that the panning of the git and reverb on the horns was to much. and maybe the pingpong on the vocals was to loud in the mix. Over all I think the balance and tone of everything is nice.
(08-09-2019, 09:23 PM)Tambo Man Wrote: Where's the rest of the song? It was just about to get to the exciting part.
I dug the distorted delay on the vocal. Thought that the panning of the git and reverb on the horns was to much. and maybe the pingpong on the vocals was to loud in the mix. Over all I think the balance and tone of everything is nice.

thanks for your input! I mixed only the first half of the song for two reasons: I didn't like the brass section on the second part, messy performance to my taste (faded out there) and because the original idea was to use it as a "demo mix" for a portfolio section. (that's why I asked for feedback)

Yeah, agree the delay ping pong is a bit high but was just a stylistic choice. About horns and guitars you nailed the point, was my doubt either. I also checked it in mono and on smartphone speakers and the "microshift" on the horns is a little messy.. maybe I will bypass it and use only panning.

this song is pretty cool but too much drums spill on the vocals unfortunately, getting clean ping pong delay is impossibru! Smile
You could try cutting some more hi end on the delay and maybe put it through a little bit of verb , should soften it and set it back in the mix.

As a musician that’s gone into the studio to record albums I’d say tread lightly when it comes to imparting your ideas on someone else’s art. What we do should enhance and not distract from what’s already there. Also having recorded and mixed other people’s albums it can be very hard to walk that line of not doing to much. Sometimes just sitting the effects back in the mix so you can’t hear but feel it when it’s gone is all that’s needed.

The great thing about this site is being able to explore ideas without any constraints but since you are going to use this mix I thought I’d mention that perspective to give you something to consider.

thank you very much, I really appreciated your insight!