Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
My mix. Hope you enjoy it...
This is the mix I made. I may had go a little heavy handed with compression and saturation, and panning may be a little polemic also (I was trying to reference Bill Evans' You must believe in spring...

Please, leave me your comments! (you'll tell me if I went too far with the tweaking plugins fun...)

Saludos!

.mp3    What\'s this thing called love_mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 14.31 MB)

A enjoyable listen Iñaki. Nice ambience and feel. The stereo width of the drums for me was a little distracting though. Mono-ing it up more and panning it further left could perhaps help the overall stereo balance and it's offset with the bass. Great work all the same.
(03-09-2019, 11:46 AM)Dangerous Wrote: A enjoyable listen Iñaki. Nice ambience and feel. The stereo width of the drums for me was a little distracting though. Mono-ing it up more and panning it further left could perhaps help the overall stereo balance and it's offset with the bass. Great work all the same.

Thanks for your comments. Listening to the mix with that in mind made me reconsider my pannings. And I have to recognise that I changed them many times during the mixing process to end with something that I am not fully convince of.

I'll experiment a little more with that and, If I find something worth listening, I'll post it!
Ok Dangerous, I've being having some fun with the panning knobs. I've reconsider the three instruments.

I've made the drums more mono, placing them to the left and I've replace the bass at the center. After that I felt I had to give the piano as much space as I can so I just left it as a full stereo track (I hope it makes sense; Excuse my English, please). It is weird because it is not how I expect to listen a jazz piano trio, with the drums at the left. Any way, I feel that those tracks work pretty well with that configuration. Even the piano seems to be tilted to the right (maybe cause I hi-passed it to give some space to the bass).

It is amazing how that panning movement changed the overall sonority of the mix.

.mp3    What\'s this thing called love_mp3_II.mp3 --  (Download: 14.31 MB)

I like this pass Iñaki. I am one for a mono-ed up piano also. (I know, I'm hard to please) but in this version the extra width seems to work. I guess with the melody naturally tilted right it offsets the drums in a good way. The bass sounds great by the way. Well Done.