Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Time Weekend
As my wife said when she heard the song...there's a lot going on here...

Anyway, here's a "concerty" take on the piece....

.mp3    One Time Weekend 1.mp3 --  (Download: 20.81 MB)

Sounds good. Good depth and image. Drums are nicely presented with good dynamics, but what's going on with the snare? Not sure if I'm hearing too much bottom snare mic or too much saturation or something. Vocal sits nicely. Guitars and bass sing sweetly. Yes, lots going on here from a very talented bunch of guys.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks - appreciate the comments very much! It means a lot!

I suppose I liked the "trashy, bright snare" sound I was getting from the bottom mic enough to push it a bit too much for some tastes. I have noticed (probably my age showing itself) that the snare sounds I like are kind of dated (insert wry grin here). That said, even though I loved the later 80's gated snare sound, I never seem to go for that when mixing unless specifically asked to do so. I had one mentor tell me that you should turn down every mix to a ridiculously low level at some point in the process and check to make sure the faint crack of the snare is the last thing you here as it fades out into nothing. That probably sunk in a bit too much.

Super talented band. I will say, though, that I had a hard time "connecting" to the song emotionally (only speaking personally, of course). For me the instrumental production and the vocal messages really just didn't match at all. Again, no judgement - just a reflective note I had while mixing it (in the sense of wanting a vision for the song).

Cheers, MITC! Always good (and honored) to hear from you!