Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rothko - Olli H
I just bought me a new modulation plugin, so I was experimenting with it. Hopefully not too audible.

My reference or ear cleaner was totally different song, but still similar: Neil Young, Heart of Gold.

.mp3    rothko-2013-10-28-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.34 MB)

I like your mix !

Couple o things could make it even better to my ears:

The vox are a bit muc around 1k, if you saturated it (my ears tell me you did ) you could make a small dip in that area on the saturation bus.
The guitarsolo has a pleaasant verb, but its very diffrent from rest of the sounds, maybe give it slightly less verb, or evrythin else little more.
The background vocals are low in volume, a bit too low I think.

The acoustic guitar (who are honoured with your new plugin, and congrats on that whatever it is) sounds really good !
I dont think its 2 much at all. I would consider givin the background voxes a treatment with it, maybe they will shine !

But small changes, down to taste, my taste. You make good mixes i think !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
hi, Olli, is that modulation plugin on the vocals? I heard something strange on her voice when she started singing...

mixing since April 2013
Thanks for comments and suggestion. I liked the song, so I might do a new corrected version later (after couple of other songs).

I bought the ValhallaUberMod
http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallaubermod
If you search for Valhalla plugins or "Sean Costello" (the coder) in gearslulz, you won't find a bad word said about them. Some people think that he's the best in the plugin business, others that he's only one of the best. And the prize: 50 $/plugin. Suits fine my low budget profile. (I already have two reverb plugins made my Sean Costello)

For a couple of next mixes I'll be trying and overusing it for everything, just to learn something about world of modulation. Quite new area to me.
I did many things without any plan. Just tried this and that. I was not in a mixing mode, but in testing mode. Almost all the delays, ambients and halls were made or effected with that plugin.

With vocals there was parallel compression and parallel distortion, both with saturation, and two kinds of reverbs in the clean channel.

Also all the verbs and effects with guitar were made with valhallaubermod. Except the plate with that knopfler solo guitar.

Also bass was effected with modulation. As I said, I tried it with almost everywhere with (maybe too) big doses.

But not with drums, yet. But I'll be studying that subject later.
Last thing first: In my very early years the band I played in made a demo at a local studio. One o the tunes were a reggae one, and we went to use all his available outboard, including a weird flanger on the cymbals. It fitted that tune, and later I were told the owner of the studio started to use that flanger on cymbals, some times :-)

All the time I discover a new effect I go overboard and use it on evrything, till I find the use for it. Thats a good way of gettin to know your gear. And I know the song about a budget, but its quite doable makin good sounds with cheap gear and after all isnt that what this site is about ?

I dont think you overdid anything but the guitarverb on the solo.
Those valhalla plugs include a modulation delay I use sometimes.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thats funny, just readin this:

UAD MXR Flanger/Doubler Plug-In

I love this thing. I often place it on a bus and send entire group tracks to it, especially in Doubler mode. It immediately adds motion and grit to the tracks. Don’t overdo it though. You don’t want it to sound like you put flange on the entire mix. What you’re looking for is a light whirling that’s almost indistinguishable. For example, you can use it on drums, if not the entire kit, just the hi hats and cymbals. You could even play with automation to make it freak out before a big chorus.

Entire article here: http://www.uaudio.com/blog/racs-top-5-uad-plug-ins/
Sounds great i like the sound of the bass !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts