Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Metal guy mixing jazz, oh dear
So, what's up with the drummer? Always behind the beat, not hitting the kick and snare rimshots consistently ... LOTS OF WORK editing that guy to the grid, ended up sample-replacing kick and snare completely. Also reamped the lead guitar through my 6505, it had no bite and top end AT ALL, awful. But it's kinda slammin' now after I brought it up to a healthy -6 LUFS during mastering.

Okay, I think I dragged out the joke long enough. I was in love with this rendition of "Saga" the second I clicked on the preview. It's not a classical arrangement---using electric bass and a fairly wet lead guitar---so I tried to make it modern-sounding by emphasizing nuances in the snare playing and the overall stereo feel of the mix while not straying too far from the (soft) constraints of the genre. My background is very much in rock/metal, but I'm trying to diversify at the moment. I research genres that I plan to mix for the first time if I'm not fluent in the language of the genre but please do let me know if you think if any element in my mix does feel out of context for the genre.

I challenged myself on this mix by adopting an analogue-like workflow. I happen to be subscribed to Slate at the moment, so I mostly used their EQ and compressor emulations, as well as console emulation on every channel. (The exception was some chirurgical Pro-Q3 on some instruments.) I'm not really sold on the Slate stuff, I find it quite esoterical, but this approach definitely forced me to mix with my ears and not look at spectra and analyzers all the time. I am pretty happy with the outcome though, it sounds very open and warm without becoming muddy. My only gripe in hindsight is that the mix may in fact be a bit too clean - I guess that's my metal brain trying to resolve every possible frequency conflict and (too) rigidly portioning out the frequency spectrum.

Anyways, would love to hear what you think! Cheers. Björn

.mp3    Araujo - The Saga Of Harrison Crabfeathers.mp3 --  (Download: 8.68 MB)

Amateur audio enthusiast.
Twitter: @bjoernkmusic