Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken Man (with added guitar solo)
Have just discovered the wonderful CMT site. What a great resource, thank you!

After many years as a guitarist playing around the edges of recording bits and bobs (mainly just to get guitar ideas down) I thought I'd better start to get to grips with this mixing skill-set so have started with the recommended tracks for newbies.

What a lovely song and beautiful vocal. Really had fun mixing this and then I thought I'd drop in a guitar solo after the middle 8 (hope this is allowed!). It gave me some good practice on inserting a section into the song on the DAW if nothing else!

Jaybee

.mp3    Broken_Man.mp3 --  (Download: 10.79 MB)

I like it. (and the solo)
May I ask what you use for your guitar tone? (amps, cabs, plugins, simulations, ...)
(27-10-2013, 08:31 PM)kjell159 Wrote: I like it. (and the solo)
May I ask what you use for your guitar tone? (amps, cabs, plugins, simulations, ...)

Thanks!

The guitar chain is a PRS 22 (bridge humbucker first half then neck second half) into an Audiobox USB (lovely but really sensitive to clipping so I use a 10db attenuator on the way in) then a little bit of compression (but not enough to squash the dynamics of the guitar).

Into Reaper and via Waves GTR using one of the Neil Citron presets, the Plexitron Crunch with the drive set to about 12 o'clock and using the GTR EQ stomp box with the mids boosted ever so slightly and the low end cut slightly. The Cab IR is the one in the Citron preset (4x12). FX on the signal is just a small amount of 8th slap delay with a shortish feedback and a hall reverb set quite low.

GTR is a really good sim, I've used it for a few years. Lots of really nice nice freeware IRs and amps out there nowadays. Spoilt for choice!

solo sounds great!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Interesting use of the stereo field.
If you made the decisions (if it isnt a supplied drumloop panned allready) great work !
Cool drums
Im afraid the noise part of the drum tail mask the delicate synth piano parts, in 1st chorus that is, better in 2nd.
Give the keybord bits more volume first chorus ?
Great idea with a guitar solo, and a well choosen one too, so good it could have a little more tough Gary Moore bite to it, eq some more hard hi mid frequencies ?
Voices are a bit loud for my taste, but the lvl lead/bv are fine.
I like
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(31-12-2013, 02:40 PM)Voelund Wrote: Interesting use of the stereo field.
If you made the decisions (if it isnt a supplied drumloop panned allready) great work !
Cool drums
Im afraid the noise part of the drum tail mask the delicate synth piano parts, in 1st chorus that is, better in 2nd.
Give the keybord bits more volume first chorus ?
Great idea with a guitar solo, and a well choosen one too, so good it could have a little more tough Gary Moore bite to it, eq some more hard hi mid frequencies ?
Voices are a bit loud for my taste, but the lvl lead/bv are fine.
I like
Thank you. Apologies for the reply after ten years (lol Smile ) how time flies. Having just given this another listen I agree with all your points. I'd do it differently now, I think the Vox are a bit prominent. I think I have a better monitoring setup here now. BTW, It's a drum loop so not my choices for the panning etc but I think it works really well. 

Still really love this song and the voice. Great work from the artist.