Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore SpedeMix
Hello. Here's my effort of this song. I spent lots of time figuring out how to reverberate things; trying different plates and such. Was also very careful making the lyrics audible in this mix without them sounding sitting too top on the mix.

It's always a challenge power-shift-wise when a verse has distorted guitars but a chorus doesn't so I spent some time riding things carefully in order to get the chorus feel powerful.

.m4a    Shore_MixOff.m4a --  (Download: 3.53 MB)

Very nice. The time you put in shows. My only suggestion would be to perhaps use a bit more compression on the kick.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
The kick does sound a bit flabby,nice sounding mix tho
sounds beautifully open. I like the gritty distortion in the part befor the solo. For my taste the guitar solo is too soft.
Cheers
Paul
(30-10-2013, 02:43 AM)PaulHofstatter Wrote: sounds beautifully open. I like the gritty distortion in the part befor the solo. For my taste the guitar solo is too soft.
Cheers
Paul

Thanks for the comment. Desperately tried to give the solo guitar more edge by distorting and compressing the f**k out of it, but it seems it wasn't enough Big Grin
Kick n bass sound fine to me, especially bass, no problem in makin that the center.
The levels are good and the solo is fine for my taste, and I even play guitar :-)
the part before the solo sounds great, you could make the solo even bigger by makin that smaller, guess thats the most important suggestion I have. I find it to be the loudest part in your mix and I dont think thats your intention.
Good work !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(30-10-2013, 04:38 PM)Voelund Wrote: the part before the solo sounds great, you could make the solo even bigger by makin that smaller, guess thats the most important suggestion I have. I find it to be the loudest part in your mix and I dont think thats your intention.

No it definitely wasn't my intention. Now that I listened to it I wonder if it's the extra amount of high mids (from the distorted lopass guitar) that might be the reason for the perception of volume. Or perhaps the the ludicrously bright hihat right at the end of the part. Out of all sections in this song I probably spent most time tweaking this one (going back and forth whether or not to use distorted filter on the guitar etc.)
Sounds perfect to me!
(27-10-2013, 12:42 PM)Spede Wrote: Hello. Here's my effort of this song. I spent lots of time figuring out how to reverberate things; trying different plates and such. Was also very careful making the lyrics audible in this mix without them sounding sitting too top on the mix.

It's always a challenge power-shift-wise when a verse has distorted guitars but a chorus doesn't so I spent some time riding things carefully in order to get the chorus feel powerful.

Great mix!
Sounds very natural and well balanced!

Three things I really like:
1. Backing vocals sounds "dreamy"
2. The way the track opens up in the chorus sections.
3. The bridge/build up to the last part of the track.
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
(30-10-2013, 04:47 PM)Spede Wrote: No it definitely wasn't my intention. Now that I listened to it I wonder if it's the extra amount of high mids (from the distorted lopass guitar) that might be the reason for the perception of volume. Or perhaps the the ludicrously bright hihat right at the end of the part. Out of all sections in this song I probably spent most time tweaking this one (going back and forth whether or not to use distorted filter on the guitar etc.)

I think you nailed it m8.
Sounds sooo good on speakers, just that one part, to my ears, are too loud n bright.
A suggestion: it sounds like you boost both guitar and hat, if thats the case its a simple matter o lowerin that boost and/or maybe a slight hicut or shelving cut
But overall its a great mix and made me so interested in the song that Im goin to give it a go, dont feel like punk today and that song will still be on my harddisk tomorrow and days after. hopefully ...

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order