Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barnstar - Believer
This is not my strongest genre, but it was a fun song to get a handle on.
The challenges were the instruments in the vocal mics which thankfully were not much of an issue. I did feel it was important to match vocal pans to instrument pans where viable. This helped in the imaging and definition of the instrumentation.
I used Andrew Scheps' OmniChannel plugin on every track. That's a first.

-10.3 LUFS; 4.3 LU

Barnstar - Believer - Mix 2

Felt I was pounding my buss compressor and limiter too hard in the first mix so reworked my gains and put the levels in a better place. I think this give better dynamics and tone from front to back. Made up lost gain in the mastering using the Abbey Road TCG Mastering suite.

-12.8 LUFS; 5.1 LU

I hope you enjoy the listen and will comment on the approach.

Thanks so much,
mITc

.mp3    Barnstar - Believer.mp3 --  (Download: 8.51 MB)

.mp3    Barnstar - Believer - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.51 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey mITc,

you crafted a quite pleasent soundscape with this one. I really like the cohesive sound of the whole ensemble.

The only two things I noticed were that the lead vocals sound a tiny bit muddy in the low-mids to me and would benefit from a bit more presence up top. Also the bass is a bit boomy and could use some more low-mid energy and maybe saturation to place it more firmly in the mix.

However apart from that your mix is great! The -10LUFS does not sound too compressed in my opinion, which I found surprising.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
LukasAngel

P.s: Havent mixed this myself so I dont know what the raw tracks are like. Just FYI.
Lukas,
Your advice on the bass is a good one. As this is not my genre, and since it is the only thing holding up the bottom of the mix I added girth to it to fill the void. Not sure I agree with the vocal, but hey... let me know what you think after you download the files.

Thanks for the listen and input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
hi! agreed with lukas about the slight mud or mid honk. still, sounds very good. maybe some good ol' disco smile eq and compression for the main mix. great mixing. ^_^
(16-08-2019, 06:11 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I used Andrew Scheps' OmniChannel plugin on every track. That's a first.

That module looks pretty cool... Are you demo-ing it or purchased? What's the limitation on the demo (if that's what you have) time/features/something else?

(17-08-2019, 04:52 PM)NewtonThomas Wrote:
(16-08-2019, 06:11 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I used Andrew Scheps' OmniChannel plugin on every track. That's a first.

That module looks pretty cool... Are you demo-ing it or purchased? What's the limitation on the demo (if that's what you have) time/features/something else?

I bought it outright when it was on sale for very few dollars. I was impressed by the three flavors of compressor, the dual channel de-esser, the pseudo pre-amp for saturation using different harmonic choices and the great EQ section. It uses minuscule amounts of CPU processing and each module can be re-arranged/moved in the chain. And each module can be used in stereo, duo or mid-side with linking of controls indepedenent of the stereo linking. Excellent soloing capabilities on each module and good metering plus a limiter at the end. You can also add other selected plugins to the channel strip. All in all, a pretty cool channel strip.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Nicely done!
I like the more open sound of the 2nd mix.
I feel like the lead vocal can come up a db maybe(maybe its the contrast from the first mix)
To me(I'm not an expert in any way Sad) it sounds very clean and well balanced
Great mix!

Cheers Wink
Great mix, and only two minor things that I would do (only listened to the 2nd mix), and that would be a little more work on the bass. I think some more saturation on it can help with note definition and give it a more consistent midrange. The lows of it sound nice enough though. And the vocals get a little pinched during certain phrases. I'm sure a dynEQ could easily take care of that without having to automate anything.