Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thelvnguage: 'Rasperry Jam' (critiques pls)
Hey guys,

this is my mix of this very interesting tune. The small ensemble left lots of room for different interpretations and styles on this one. I tried to go with a lo-fi vibe, especially on the drums and did some pretty hefty filtering, autopanning, reverb and delay work.

If anyone has suggestions for the guitar tone they would be gladly appreciated, as I am not really happy with it.

Anyway, please listen, comment and enjoy!

--Version 2--
Changed my approach. The Rhodes is now the center of attetion, while the guitar is providing some texture and accents. Hopefully its better now.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

.mp3    thelvnguage_RaspberryJam_mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.97 MB)

.mp3    thelvnguage_RaspberryJam_mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.09 MB)

Lukas,
Does the lo-fi vibe include broken tines on the Rhodes??? LOL.
The guitar gets a bit crispy and jumps dynamically with the Rhodes buried in its crunchy saturation.

Interesting editing. Not sure they are enhancements or just something to try.

As you have accurately stated, there is room to do just about anything with these tracks.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks MITC for the review Smile
Quote:Lukas,
Does the lo-fi vibe include broken tines on the Rhodes??? LOL.
I automated the saturation (distortion rather) in at a few points to highlight some lines the rhodes was playing. I quite often do subtle saturation on a rhodes in my other mixes as I feel it makes it sound more present.
By doing this is kind of lost that full, warm juciy tone. I might take a look at an alternative approach, but I dont hate the rhodes as it is right now.
Quote:The guitar gets a bit crispy and jumps dynamically with the Rhodes buried in its crunchy saturation.
That is my main gripe with this mix. I could not get the rhodes and guitar to "glue" together, so I went in a totally different direction with lots of saturation.

Quote:Interesting editing. Not sure they are enhancements or just something to try.

As you have accurately stated, there is room to do just about anything with these tracks.

This is what this entire mix is pretty much for me. I was just messing around with ideas, plugins and new things I had not tried before.
Some things I like, some things not so much.

Anyway,
thanks again for your feedback!

Cheers,
LukasAngel
New Mix is up!