Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Enough: 'Die Young'_mix Tommy M.
AngelAngelAngel

This took a bit of massaging to get a good mix. Lots of challenges. Lots of fun!!!!

Rock!!!!

Tom

.mp3    Die Young_4M.mp3 --  (Download: 6.9 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
This is a great mix except the vocals sound raw and lacking balance in the space. I had to do a lot of manual automation them to get them to balance, so its no easy task especially since its a live take and the vocalist went between chewing on the mic to being of axis and a foot back.

The drums also seem a bit phasy, especially when the vocals come in due to the bleed into them. Definitely something to work on minimizing with phase inversion and spectral correction.
(07-08-2019, 07:23 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: AngelAngelAngel

This took a bit of massaging to get a good mix. Lots of challenges. Lots of fun!!!!

Rock!!!!

Tom

Hey Tom, just wanted to say I really dig the energy and thickness of the Guitar Track. Can you please advise how you mixed that track.

Kind Regards,

Josh
(23-08-2019, 12:47 PM)Joshdan Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 07:23 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: AngelAngelAngel

Rock!!!!

Tom

Hey Tom, just wanted to say I really dig the energy and thickness of the Guitar Track. Can you please advise how you mixed that track.

Kind Regards,

Josh

----------------------------
Josh,

Sure I'd be happy to......here goes:

Thanks for asking me about this.....here's the scoop on the guitar part/s...

-first load track onto a "stereo" track since the guitar was a mono track (you need to do this so that any stereo plugins or effects you want will be in stereo). Next....
- doubling plugin
-narrowed the doubling to around 10 and 2 o'clock (I don't like it too wide because to me it sounds unnatural).
-harmonic exciter
-reverb
-high pass filter, rounded cut around 100htz on down
-slight high end boost around 16k, slight cut around 3k

Next.....
-on the interesting parts available during lulls in the vocals, I multed the track (duplicated it), carved out only those parts I wanted to process further and discarded the rest), added distortion and auto panning (narrowed to about 10 and 2 o'clock).
-of course reverb used on these multed sections as well.

* Note: I used the same reverb on all tracks as sends. I don't normally like to use different reverbs for different instruments and vocals because I think it acts better as a glue and for spacial consistency. I know others use different reverbs for everything and that's cool too....it's all a preference. Also, using one really good quality convolution reverb for everything goes easier on your CPU....lol.

Thanks again for asking about this...hope it helps out.

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Tommy,
An interesting approach. And some creative solutions. Seems like you used hardly any of the track. That's different. I like just about everything you've done but having an issue with the bottom of the bass guitar. It throbs but not in a great way and gets a little resonant at times. Other than that it is a fun take.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]