Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schoolboy Fascination SpedeMix
Hello. Here's my mix from this witty tune. I spent about 4-5 hours with this (including a lunch break). The first hour went into the pre-mixing part: submixing and handoffs to reduce the amount of tracks. For some reason the sonical direction this mix was going was toward the Muse stuff mixed by Spike Stent (Uprising, Madness etc.) so I shamelessly used those as guide/reference.

.m4a    Schoolboy_Fascination_MixOff.m4a --  (Download: 3.12 MB)

My phone wont load your file. And thats a shame cause I want to hear it.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I updated the file in the first post. New version of xACT was acting suspiciously in AAC conversion. Downgraded and reconverted.
Dang Big Grin. Still no luck. How about an mp3, they always work
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(23-10-2013, 12:25 AM)Voelund Wrote: Dang Big Grin. Still no luck. How about an mp3, they always work

Big Grin Here's your mp3. I usually use AAC since (most of the time) it sounds better than mp3, especially at lower bitrates.

.mp3    Schoolboy_Fascination_MixOff.mp3 --  (Download: 6.16 MB)

Thx. See what you mean. I dont think you mix should sound like that. Too bad an iphone wont play a format I believe are apples own. I will listen on speakers when I get the chance.

From what I vould hear sounds good controlled and a bit pop, as it should. And distorded which I dont believe it should.

By the way Ive seen you advice against lowcuttin drums. Is it because of the phase issue any eq introduces or what are the thoughts behind it ?
(23-10-2013, 12:46 AM)Voelund Wrote: By the way Ive seen you advice against lowcuttin drums. Is it because of the phase issue any eq introduces or what are the thoughts behind it ?

Yes, the phase shifting is the exact reason. Regarding multitrack drum and/or parallel processing worst way one can shoot himself to the foot is putting/tweaking a hipass to drum track when that track is solo'ed IMO. We don't hear a phase shift by itself but in relation to other tracks of a same performance. Obviously linear phase EQ's don't suffer from this so you could use those in parallel processing to avoid problems if you need to cut lows/highs.

If you really know what you're doing you could also use this phenomenon to your advantage; sometimes I put a steep hipass filter (very low freq) into a DI bass to align the low end phase with an amp signal. Works also pretty neatly with multiple kick drums (especially "kick in" MD421 or SM57 combined with "kick out" LDC whose low end response extends way down)
Sounds great here!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Interesting thoughts. Using a linear phase eq can produce preringin - and the cure can produce bigger problem than the illness ....

Cool use of a steep lopass you mention. In the 20-30 hz area or ?
I remember havin a theory that puttin a locut on the snare would produce the hole in rhe middle, the cut we always make, and by adjusting q and frequency it could be tuned.

Your theory wont make me stop locuttin drums, but it will make me think more about where I cut and how steep. I am in the habit of using 6 db/octave filters when possible as I find that better soundin. With your word about deep steep cuts in mind hi cut on drums could be used as a global hole in the middle eq on the drumbus.