Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright Contact - quick mix
I knew the live from the lab session and already had all tracks of Kat so i cranked this up again. Didn't have much time today so this is what i came up with after ~1/2 hour. All level changes done live by hand, no automation.

.mp3    kat wright contact.mp3 --  (Download: 7.39 MB)

things I hear..

bass is really masking the kick.
Snare could use more body... somehow it sounds quite tiny in the mix almost like drummer is playing with a tiny snare toy.
I know you found my keys very low on mine but hearing yours now I think they are too loud Lol.
Vocal is good.. I like the horns as well.
Just drums and bass low end fight and keys standing out too much.

good enough for working on it lightly but would def check that live from the lab mix in youtube to compare.
keep it up and happy mixing.
(29-07-2019, 06:36 AM)Shul Wrote: things I hear..

bass is really masking the kick.
Snare could use more body... somehow it sounds quite tiny in the mix almost like drummer is playing with a tiny snare toy.
I know you found my keys very low on mine but hearing yours now I think they are too loud Lol.
Vocal is good.. I like the horns as well.
Just drums and bass low end fight and keys standing out too much.

good enough for working on it lightly but would def check that live from the lab mix in youtube to compare.
keep it up and happy mixing.
Thanks for your post, i changed a few bits in this second version:
I put a transient designer on the kick drum to boost its attack a little,
boosted the snare in the 100 hz region (I first left it flat in the low end since I thought it didn't need it in a jazz/funk style song),
and I reduced the level of the leslie a bit.
BTW in the original mix it sounds like the kick drum is too loud and getting pushed against a limiter it seems to "duck" the rest of the mix, did you notice that too?

.mp3    second contact.mp3 --  (Download: 7.36 MB)

Listening to and commenting on your second mix...

The environment you've chosen puts the whole mix rather far away. While it works it does rob the performance of the intimacy the vocals portray. That of course, is just a stylistic opinion. You've engineered your choices very well, however. The mix is full and enjoyable. Nicely done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]