Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Kat Wright CONTACT #4(fun and complicated mix)
(29-07-2019, 01:50 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Uh oh. That dreaded single star! LOL

hahaha yah it's okay not the first one and not gonna be the last one forsure xD
Mix 04 is up. Hope i fixed those issues Monk. If not I can provide the mix only and maybe you can master it to your taste just for fun Smile
Hi mate! I like your mix. I think the 4th version is the greatest of all. Too dry for my taste haha Tongue . I would like the whole mix to be more present in the upper mids especially the horns and the keys. They seem to be a little lifeless a few db up it would help too. Great job anyway!! It is so obvious that we have totally different point of view about the reverb!!
(29-07-2019, 03:20 PM)Andreas Tyranopoulos Wrote: Hi mate! I like your mix. I think the 4th version is the greatest of all. Too dry for my taste haha Tongue . I would like the whole mix to be more present in the upper mids especially the horns and the keys. They seem to be a little lifeless a few db up it would help too. Great job anyway!! It is so obvious that we have totally different point of view about the reverb!!

I've always considered reverb in a song to be salt in a food.. it needs just enough to taste right. Over do it and you basically destroy the food. Same goes for mixing so I try to limit the amount of reverb. I can't count the times where I have done so much reverb to a mix that basically destroyed the mix completely.
But it's cool though if you like reverb that much. A mastering engineer can always add an extra layer of reverb on top of the mix.. however you can't remove reverb off a mix though.
(29-07-2019, 05:39 AM)Shul Wrote: No but i'm guilty as charged. I do squash the limiter on the masterbus trying to get a loud volume. I know I shouldn't do that but I can't help it sometimes. It should be about 4 db lower volume than what it is.. and this plus an exciter i use on the master bus makes that clipping you are talking about.
I don't think it's sensitivity loss from my part as I can hear that essing situation my self.. but honestly I didn't bother to get rid of it. Also as you probably know I live in apartments and just mix with headphones and they are not top of the line headphones so definitely not hearing that top end as clear as on your end forsure and this might or might not have something to do with it.

Will address this issue right now though because I KNOW you are right about that essing excess on the top end.

Shul, you've got to get past the volume wars. It's a senseless waste of tone and dynamics.

Cool
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(29-07-2019, 06:05 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Shul, you've got to get past the volume wars. It's a senseless waste of tone and dynamics.

Cool

Noted Smile
(30-07-2019, 09:31 AM)Shul Wrote:
(29-07-2019, 06:05 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Shul, you've got to get past the volume wars. It's a senseless waste of tone and dynamics.

Cool

Noted Smile

This just in from ProSound News by George Massenburg on the end of the loudness wars...

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/pro-soun...4144051441

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I listened to 04KatWright.mp3

The guitar-player putting his amp all the way out to the right side, while having so much reverb from it, annoyed me Smile
He kept stealing my attention when I really wanted to focus on the singer lol Smile

At the same time the horn-sections all seemed to be almost center-stage, which made me feel a bit like they were getting in the way of the singer all while left-side was pretty empty. I missed having something out there on that side.

The sound was nice, but too harsh at times (she lost a lot of her 'creamy' sound in this mix I think)
But balance between instruments and high-low end was pleasing, but just too harsh for me.
I appreciate the comment Jel thanks for the input. I reckon that spring reverb was annoying for me too.. I lost my patience through the process to get rid of some of it. If anyone has any tips to get rid of verb on instruments I'd like to hear it Big Grin
i think all versions sound good. bass is very nice. you could go to -5 dBFS RMS, you know, to make it better. ^_^