Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West End Blend: 'Kane Guru'
My Mix

Comments Welcome

Version 01.mp3
Remixed on the monitors instead of headphones. Seems to have more depth, not happy with the vocals, but ok with everything else
Comments welcome!!

.mp3    west end blend-KaneGuru.mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

.mp3    west end blend-KaneGuru-01.mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Version 01.mp3
Remixed on the monitors instead of headphones. Seems to have more depth, not happy with the vocals, but ok with everything else

Would like some comments on first and second versions.

ThanksSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey Kirk,

a solid mix you got there. [All of this is on the monitor mix] The separation between the instruments is well done, I can hear the organ and keys pretty clearly in the mix. The horns have an interesting open "vibe" to them. I like your drums a lot (for the most part Wink )

The guitars are also good, but I find the delay a bit distracting, as this song is already quite dense without it. Another thing which is a bit odd for me is the kick drum. It sounds quite processed, a bit to huge and aggressive for me in this context. The snare sound (which I like a lot) is very balanced, a bit roomy and for my ears, a better fit for this song.
The kick seems to trigger some kind of bus compressor/limiter rather heavily as the vocals ducks out of the way noticeably. At least thats what I am hearing. Cant be too sure though.

Regarding the vocals, I dont think you are far off. Three things for me:
1. The male vocal is quite sibilant probably from eq stuff as
2. it lacks a bit of low/mid fullness (or to much high-end) depending on how you look at it.
3. Maybe try compressing the vocals a bit more. I found them very uneven and probably had a good 8-10db from a 1176-style comp and ~6db from LA2A-style comp(on the vocal bus) gain reduction at the loudest sections. It worked for me (I think), maybe give it at shot.

I hope this helps, and please, take everything I said with a grain of salt, as I have not mixed for a while.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
Hi Kirk mix2 sounds really good much more clearer and tighter well done.
Reaper user