Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FytaKyte Shul Mix ( + mixing video)
Here is my first take on this cool song.
I had a lot of fun with it. Thanks fytakyte

a lil gift video for beginners where I show my usual process for a mix. I'm not
a pro by a million years but I hope you learn a thing or two Smile
It's unlisted so only you guys get access to it. Also audio quality is a bit BLAH but it does the job.
https://youtu.be/1hRrc7uzbEU

Happy mixing and let me know what this needs. Thanks!

.mp3    LifeGetsInTheWay.mp3 --  (Download: 9.68 MB)

Hello mate, hope you're well.

I enjoyed the video, mind you I didn't watch the whole lot but I can see from the video how you process things and it all makes sense.

Good mix, though I will say, and I don't know if its because of the daw, but it sounds like its a bit strangled. Like it all seems a little wooly. I can't put my finger on it, it just sounds like a wall of low-mids. Levels are good though, apart from the lead guitar that could potentially come up a little.

Hope that helps.
~
Other Mixes
(12-07-2019, 07:29 AM)Quathamer Wrote: though I will say, and I don't know if its because of the daw, but it sounds like its a bit strangled. Like it all seems a little wooly. I can't put my finger on it, it just sounds like a wall of low-mids. Levels are good though, apart from the lead guitar that could potentially come up a little.

Hope that helps.

I'm confused.. the lowmids wall is in this mp3 mix? or in the video... Because the youtube video does have a huge boost on the lows and low mids area and I don't know how to fix that in the screen recorder. Sad
Hey Shul, I had a quick look at your mixing video - nice idea! Always cool to see how other people mix. Overall, I like your mix - It reflects the intention of the production well. The internal balances and the overall sound of the mix are very good too.

I don't hear any real issues with the low mids, although I checked the mix posted here against the audio from the video, and the video definitely sounds very woolly and overly low mid heavy. I just assumed it was because you were in the process of mixing on the video and you hadn't addressed those issues yet.

One small thing I noticed:
- The lead vocal needs more dynamic control, particularly the first verse.

Nice work!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hi Shul,

Solid mix mate. Sounding great through my headphones. Nice work with the video also. You seem to have a good systematic approach that works for you. Don't be afraid to implement the use of markers throughout the song(if you're not going so already), verses, chorus, bridge etc. Really useful for working in the song dynamics, quick indexing and basically knowing where you are.

An enjoyable listen Shul, though I reckon you could accentuate some of those great guitar parts though out the song somewhat more with some automation if you are up for a second mix.

Dave
Thanks fytakyte. basically the mix from the video should have been 98% the mix of this mp3. It sounds very different because the screen recorder i used did something weird to the sound. I have downloaded a stand alone eq already to fix said issue on the screen recorder. Too bad I didn't notice this problem till i actually uploaded the video.

Thanks dangerous. Honestly i don't even know how to set markers in reaper yet Lol i've been trying to learn lil by lil but I have not found a time to go indepth with it. I shall look into it.

I'll see what I can do to make those dynamics more exciting and also keep the voice dynamics on check. thank you!