Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ripe - Little Bit Lighter - New Update
(13-07-2019, 04:15 PM)Rook Wrote: Really enjoying mix3. The snare change definitely makes everything feel better sonically. Your usual low end goodness at work here, especially the Juno. I do think the guitar solo could me more present and wonder if the mix overall would benefit from a slight high end lift. Great work!

Hey Rook,
Thanks for the kind words. I agree the guitar solo could probably benefit from a db or 2 lift. I got lazy with that.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
cool mix, yeah
Hi MITC

Ver 3 is sounding really nice, snare sounds great, nice balance also
Enjoyable listen

Cheers
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(15-07-2019, 02:28 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi MITC

Ver 3 is sounding really nice, snare sounds great, nice balance also
Enjoyable listen

Cheers

All smiles. Thanks.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Listening to version 3 ,Sounds Well balanced the snare sounds a touch full around 500 hz maybe enhanced by reverb on my monitors probably my ears or a taste thing.
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Just my 2 cents on this one...
Mix 3
The bass reverb first seemed rather pointless to me but after listening a few times, it kind of helps it to stick out in the bass/bass&drums solos. I can hear a bit of humming in the bass track from the amp, I muted the amp track because of it. The vocal sounds a bit thin to my ears and has a bit too much sibilance. The vocal delay sounds good although it's sometimes a bit distracting with it's timing, a proper tap delay would be awesome, especially on the fx vocal in the chorus.
Not much to say about those guitars, hard panned left & right like in the original mix, in the guitar solo however it's better placed in the center I think.
There's a bit too much reverb on the snare for my taste, the rest of the drum kit is nice however with very clear overheads.
The horns fit well in the mix without getting too harsh.
Overall, the mix has a good balance with good dynamics.
The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.
(04-08-2019, 10:23 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote: Just my 2 cents on this one...
Mix 3
The bass reverb first seemed rather pointless to me but after listening a few times, it kind of helps it to stick out in the bass/bass&drums solos. I can hear a bit of humming in the bass track from the amp, I muted the amp track because of it. The vocal sounds a bit thin to my ears and has a bit too much sibilance. The vocal delay sounds good although it's sometimes a bit distracting with it's timing, a proper tap delay would be awesome, especially on the fx vocal in the chorus.
Not much to say about those guitars, hard panned left & right like in the original mix, in the guitar solo however it's better placed in the center I think.
There's a bit too much reverb on the snare for my taste, the rest of the drum kit is nice however with very clear overheads.

Thanks for the thorough analysis. It is funny that mixers I respect will often say the exact opposite about a mix. Not sure where that leaves me but with varying opinions and tastes. Nothing wrong with that.
The guitar solo is definitely a weak spot in my mix either for level or placement. As for snare reverb, I used the reverb not as much for space but for harmonic content. It does rob it of some energy, however. Hearing noise from the bass amp I believe is only a result of being able to audition that track discreetly. In combination with the DI and within the context of the song it is inconsequential from a S/N perspective but vital to harmonic content. Why are son many mixers opposed to reverb on bass guitars? Is there some rule I missed?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(05-08-2019, 02:57 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 10:23 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote: Just my 2 cents on this one...
Mix 3

Thanks for the thorough analysis. It is funny that mixers I respect will often say the exact opposite about a mix. Not sure where that leaves me but with varying opinions and tastes. Nothing wrong with that.
The guitar solo is definitely a weak spot in my mix either for level or placement. As for snare reverb, I used the reverb not as much for space but for harmonic content. It does rob it of some energy, however. Hearing noise from the bass amp I believe is only a result of being able to audition that track discreetly. In combination with the DI and within the context of the song it is inconsequential from a S/N perspective but vital to harmonic content. Why are son many mixers opposed to reverb on bass guitars? Is there some rule I missed?
IMHO it's just that the bass defines the rhythm of a song just like the drums do so it should be clear and not be mudded with reverb (on drums like snare it's tolerable to a certain degree but i wouldn't like reverb on the kick drum), since reverb can easily mess up the low end of a mix. I'ts not critical overall in your mix, just in the bass solo parts it doesn't feel right to me. I've tried chorus effects on bass and that worked well so if it's about getting the bass "wider" you could try this instead.
BTW to which mixers are you referring that you respect and what is their position?
The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.
hey Mitc i have to say i really enjoyed the mix, great work
(06-08-2019, 10:50 AM)Thomas Mueller Wrote: IMHO it's just that the bass defines the rhythm of a song just like the drums do so it should be clear and not be mudded with reverb (on drums like snare it's tolerable to a certain degree but i wouldn't like reverb on the kick drum), since reverb can easily mess up the low end of a mix. I'ts not critical overall in your mix, just in the bass solo parts it doesn't feel right to me. I've tried chorus effects on bass and that worked well so if it's about getting the bass "wider" you could try this instead.
BTW to which mixers are you referring that you respect and what is their position?

Just read through some of the comments here. Not naming names.
I know engineers who would never consider putting reverb on bass or kick. I think that is a very short sighted approach. Taking those instruments out of a sound filed you've created is just plan unwise in my opinion. If there is a clash in the low end, then I'd conjecture your work is not done yet. If you want to say that kick drums and bass guitars don't exist in reverberent fields then I'd say hogwash. They exist there just like every other instrument does. It is all part of the creative license and process which is what we do.

I always put my bass in a stereo buss so that I can add stereo processing to it if and when needed. One of the things I will often do with the bass is to put a flange on it. It adds some movement and enhancement to the upper end without stepping on it too much.

There is no right or wrong here, but 'never' is way too finite for me and I enjoy coloring outside the lines. Heck, there are no lines in mixing, really. And I'm mostly on the conservative side.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]