Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz LyfeGetzInDaWyez
Yooo so good to be back.

My Mac went down after a serious mixing session (no joke, cooked the poor old girl), and now I'm back in action!

As always, simple eqs, compression and fx. Trying out the Valhalla range of reverbs at the moment. They ok.

No External plugins or consoles.

** Edit M1.3 is a bit more polished and has a funky breakdown automation. Had a bit of time today to just much around so I played with this one a bit xx

.mp3    FytaKyte_Life Gets In The WayM1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.59 MB)

.mp3    LifeGetsInTheWay_FytakyteM1.3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.59 MB)

~
Other Mixes
And a personal note to FytaKyte ... I would LOVE if you provided the tracks for Outa Control. Honestly would love to be able to get my teeth into that one, and Bulldozer too (insane gtr solo froth town).
~
Other Mixes
Nice mix Quathamer,
Listening with headphones, love the powerful drum sonics. It could be a little too big for the song though.(an issue I had with my mix). I also like the overall drive you have created and that crazy guitar solo section. Very Cool! The main guitar hook could come forward a bit I reckon and I think the vocal still needs to be tamed down more and recessed back into the mix, being mindful to keep the backing vocals highlighted where you see fit.

As for the tempo mapping, you should put back up your original mix complete with the update to make the comparison. It's a bit hard for me to comment.

Your off to a great start Qh. I can tell from your mix that you've enjoy working on this.
(07-07-2019, 11:43 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Nice mix Quathamer,
Listening with headphones, love the powerful drum sonics. It could be a little too big for the song though.(an issue I had with my mix). I also like the overall drive you have created and that crazy guitar solo section. Very Cool! The main guitar hook could come forward a bit I reckon and I think the vocal still needs to be tamed down more and recessed back into the mix, being mindful to keep the backing vocals highlighted where you see fit.

As for the tempo mapping, you should put back up your original mix complete with the update to make the comparison. It's a bit hard for me to comment.

Your off to a great start Qh. I can tell from your mix that you've enjoy working on this.

Thanks mate, all really great notes.

In the breakdown, because it was a little messy (in a good way) I decided to make it a little grungy, and also something you might not notice unless you listen for it is the bass is super distorted and turned way down till you can barely hear it. Fun fact. I suppose the guitar hook is back because I felt it took away from the other great things happening at the same time.

Thanks again! And yeah I did enjoy this mix. Its produced well as always.

** Also I'll upload the previous mix with the drums unsnapped. There were also very minor mix changes since this version, but I doubt they will be audible.
~
Other Mixes
It feels pretty good. I only listened to the V1, the non drum aligned version. I like the drums but the kick and snare sound a little artificial, like a drum machine. Dynamically they feel a little flat as well. It's a "human" song with warts and all (in a good way) so those drums stand out.
The lead vocals are a little boxy. At least when he's singing in his lower register like in the verses. And yeah, as Dave said, it could come back into the mix as well.

Other than that is sounds good. I like the bass. The breakdown is cool. The guitars work.
Good job.
Hi Quathamer, cool mix! I think I prefer Mix 1.3 (the second one), because I quite like the vocal treatment on it. Especially those first lower register vocal lines - they sound much less muddy and boxy in the 2nd version

I like most of the sounds you got, although I find the guitars a little on the thin side. Somehow, in the choruses, the low end of the distorted guitars doesn't seem to "connect" and interact with the bass in the low mids in a way that feels natural. It almost sounds like the guitars are a separate, distinct "high mid layer" in the mix, not a smooth transition through the frequencies. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's the way I hear it.... Is it my imagination, or are the chorus guitars weighted to the left in the first chorus?

The low end feels a little stodgy to me - too much sub bass maybe? The low end doesn't feel as punchy and defined as it could be. I find the LCR panning on the toms pretty distracting - might be a personal taste thing there though.

Overall though, it's working pretty well - nice job!

Quote:I would LOVE if you provided the tracks for Outa Control. Honestly would love to be able to get my teeth into that one,

Outa Control will be the final multitrack available here for free for mixing from the album. I don't know when Mike will post it, but he has it ready to go...possibly next month(?)

Quote:and Bulldozer too (insane gtr solo froth town).

Of course, you can get ALL the multitracks from the album RIGHT NOW simply by buying the album - that, of course includes "Bulldozer":
You can get that here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hello Roy,

I agree with you I think, I've come around to like the M1.1 unaligned version, but I disagree they sound flat dynamically. They are actually the same samples I used for FytaKyte's other song (fun fact). And I completely disagree they don't sound human, as it was humans that recorded the sounds, and played the sounds (over 60 different dynamic variations of the hits), and besides, the amazing room and overheads recordings are perfect for bringing the "human" back into the mix.

I went ahead and bounced a revised mix, pretty well changed everything, and took special care of the vocals this time, just for you and Dave Smile
~
Other Mixes
(11-07-2019, 09:06 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: Hi Quathamer, cool mix! I think I prefer Mix 1.3 (the second one), because I quite like the vocal treatment on it. Especially those first lower register vocal lines - they sound much less muddy and boxy in the 2nd version

I like most of the sounds you got, although I find the guitars a little on the thin side. Somehow, in the choruses, the low end of the distorted guitars doesn't seem to "connect" and interact with the bass in the low mids in a way that feels natural. It almost sounds like the guitars are a separate, distinct "high mid layer" in the mix, not a smooth transition through the frequencies. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's the way I hear it.... Is it my imagination, or are the chorus guitars weighted to the left in the first chorus?

The low end feels a little stodgy to me - too much sub bass maybe? The low end doesn't feel as punchy and defined as it could be. I find the LCR panning on the toms pretty distracting - might be a personal taste thing there though.

Overall though, it's working pretty well - nice job!

Quote:I would LOVE if you provided the tracks for Outa Control. Honestly would love to be able to get my teeth into that one,

Outa Control will be the final multitrack available here for free for mixing from the album. I don't know when Mike will post it, but he has it ready to go...possibly next month(?)

Quote:and Bulldozer too (insane gtr solo froth town).

Of course, you can get ALL the multitracks from the album RIGHT NOW simply by buying the album - that, of course includes "Bulldozer":
You can get that here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases

Oh true! Well I'll probably pick up the set cause its good stuff.

And yeah I agree about the guitars, but I don't know about them being heavy on the left. I'll have to have a listen later on
~
Other Mixes
Good balances here.
Clean mix. Punchy mix.
I'd just boost more midrange on it overall.. sounds a bit too scooped for my taste but it's just my taste. other people can disagree.

Good job. I do like the eq choice on the vox... it's really good.
Keep it up Smile
(12-07-2019, 08:43 AM)Shul Wrote: Good balances here.
Clean mix. Punchy mix.
I'd just boost more midrange on it overall.. sounds a bit too scooped for my taste but it's just my taste. other people can disagree.

Good job. I do like the eq choice on the vox... it's really good.
Keep it up Smile

Hello Shul,

Thanks so much for the kind words mate, and yeah I agree, M1.3 is a bit scooped.

Thanks for listening!
~
Other Mixes