Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please comment on my approach to this song
This is somewhat softer than the original version, imho it is more in sync with the character of the song. Please feel free to comment.

.mp3    StarnesAndShah_Prodigal_Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.24 MB)

Couple of listens later, mellowing the snare and adding some more depth to the mix, here is the result.

.mp3    StarnesAndShah_Prodigal_Mix4.mp3 --  (Download: 7.55 MB)

Hi, I feel the mix is a bit overcompressed and squashed, and not very well balanced overall.
The effects could be gelled better.
You have though a decent relationship between highs and lows in the frequency spectrum, you dont have a lot of things too bright or too muffled.
You also have a bit too much low end on the Bass as well.

There is also a lot of hiss from the extra compression you´re doing, or there are a lot of analog modeled plugins, with the analog button on.

I would:
1. Back off on the compression you´re adding on the mixbus, and individual instruments.

2. Add a lufs meter and try to read -14 LUFS integrated, on the final mix.
Try a reasonable amount of gain reduction on a particular plugin or it will start to distort, which is the case on this master.

3. I would try to make all those effects belong to a space, because they dont feel connected or gelled well, making the song not very realistic and full, for instance, specially the background vocals in the chorus, which have a lot of reverb, in relation to the dry mix of the other elements.

Try that and repost if you want, Bye